Do I get a Mom Badge?

Posted: July 23rd, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: Misc. | 10 Comments »

A few years ago I got home from work and my dog couldn’t walk. He pulled himself into a corner with his front legs and cried. I frantically called my husband and the two of us whisked or 4-legged baby to the vet. I cried, John paced around the parking lot while we waited for news of what was wrong. Stanley got some cortisone and left walking on all 4 legs. He threw out his back. We both wondered what we would be like if we had actual children in an emergency.

Fast forward to tonight.

I’m getting ready for work- literally kissing Lincoln on the head when I notice, gee, his head looks kinda funny. Is it just me or does his head look funny? Is that a bump on his head? A protrusion? What’s the deal here? Is this from yesterday when he took a header to the hardwoods? How did I not notice this before this very minute?

What do I do?

I call work, tell them I may have to bring him in, I’ll call back when I know more.

I called Dr. B’s office and talk to the on-call nurse and she gives me a rundown of what to look for. From her questions it sounds like he’s fine. It’s my choice if I want to bring him in.

I call work, tell them I’m on my way but I might be late.

On my drive to work I have a near meltdown. What if there really IS something wrong? What if I don’t take him in and tomorrow it’s worse? What if he has some horrible brain damage and I’m putting him to bed and going to work?

I call my sister and she heads over to sit with Wyatt so John can take Lincoln to the ER. It’ll be fine. John can handle this.

I get to work, all tear stained, trying to make light of the situation. It’s tough work being a Mom! When does it get easy? Yada yada…

I’m not OK. I should be with my Lincoln. What if something IS wrong and I’m at work?

Thankfully they send me home almost as soon as I get there.

As I walked to the car I saw the 9 messages from John- I have both car seats in my car…won’t get far without those I guess.

I get home and we take him in to Children’s*. The entire ride there I freak out about the fact that it may just be his crazy big head- what if there isn’t really a “bump” or swelling? Will I be the crazy lady who makes stuff up about her kid for attention? What if he’s just got a bulbous head?

We check in and get into a room immediately. Lincoln is doing really well. Not even the rectal thermometer throws him off. He gets a full exam by Dr. P and is declared OK to go home. We need to pay some close attention over the next few days, wake him up every few hours the next few nights to make sure he’s alert.

The bottom line is, he’s fine. He’s got some swelling (I didn’t imagine that!) and bruising (I didn’t notice that…) but he’s fine. I’m not the crazy lady. I’m not even overly cautious. Brains aren’t something to mess with- better safe than sorry, right?

Me? I don’t know. I kind of feel like everything is so good with these two, we’ve been so lucky they are so healthy I feel like I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop…you know? Is this how you feel as a Mom? When does this go away?

I think I’m just going to get them helmets. It might be the only way to stop me from worrying.

*Sorry nice people if I totally jumped to the front of you in the ER- I mean we both arrived at the same time so I probably shouldn’t feel bad that when we left you were still in the waiting room…but I do.

• No Related Posts

10 Comments on “Do I get a Mom Badge?”

1. 1 Mandie, Daniel and Dawson said at 7:10 am on July 23rd, 2009:

I'm sorry you had to deal with this…it sucks! I had such a text book pregnancy and a near perfect 7 months, that I, too, am waiting for the disaster that I'm certain will happen. My mom says I'm paranoid.

2. 2 Anonymous said at 7:43 am on July 23rd, 2009:

Erin, You have to do what you feel is right. And I think you did the right thing last night. Head injuries are nothing to mess with. Somtimes the symptoms don't show up right away. It's hard to make the "right" call all the time when you're a parent. You are doing a great job. It's your job to worry!!!

Mom

3. 3 Anonymous said at 7:43 am on July 23rd, 2009:

The emmergency room and little boys just seem to go together! it is an adventure. Kiss Lincoln's little bump for me. Love, Grandma C

4. 4 Mr. Wonderful said at 8:56 am on July 23rd, 2009:

You did the right thing honey. You are a mom. You're supposed to worry.

5. 5 Anonymous said at 5:37 pm on July 23rd, 2009:

We're so glad Lincoln is okay! With all the big heads in this family, we've had our own share of bumps and bruises, but head injuries are really scary. You all did exactly the right thing!

Aunt Juju and Uncle Mike

6. 6 Lindsay said at 7:42 am on July 24th, 2009:

How scary that must have been! I'm glad to hear everything is ok!

I have an off-topic question for you, how many cloth diapers and inserts do you have? I'm making the leap and just trying to gauge how many I will need. Your experiences and the coupon code you shared helped me make the decision! Also, what do you use to store the used diapers while they're waiting to be washed? Sorry for all of the questions!!

7. 7 Erin said at 7:56 am on July 24th, 2009:

Thank you everyone for the support! It's nice to know that I'm not alone with my crazy "Mom" feelings over here!

Lindsay: Right now we have 10 gDiapers, 18 liners and 30 prefolds. I wash diapers every other day and usually have 4-6 gDiapers, 26-28 prefolds and maybe 8-12 liners in a load. We have a medium size Planetwise Wetbag that we use when we are out and about- it holds probably 8-10 wet prefolds and I throw the whole thing into the wash. At home I have a pretty basic diaper pail in the bathroom- I just toss in the wet diapers and sprinkle with "Fluff Dust" which keeps the smell down.

I've got to put in my order here too, I think one more 6 pack will do for awhile, I really want those Glam black pants too so I see those in our future as well.

8. 8 Mr. Wonderful said at 8:21 am on July 24th, 2009:

Just think how it will be when they start fighting with each other let alone what they do to themselves. All i can say is Uncle Jimmy is very lucky he only ended up with a couple of broken noses

9. 9 Beki said at 3:53 pm on July 24th, 2009:

Erin, Those real headers are SO scary. Just know that once they get over the head into the floor stage, you learn which injuries are more major and which aren't… but I always second-guess if I should call the doctor or not.
    I'm sure he'll be just fine… and I seriously considered helmets for a few months, too.
    This too shall pass.
    B

10. 10 Things That go Bump | The Slacker Mom said at 10:43 pm on June 15th, 2012:

[…] when Lincoln had a huge bruise on his head and I was quite certain I was the worst mother in the world and omg he’s probably got the […]