The State of Hockey.

Posted: January 22nd, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: Misc. | 8 Comments »

The past few years my Mom has given us tickets to the Wild vs. Redwings for my birthday. I’m a Wings fan. Born and raised in Minnesota. The State of Hockey. How does this happen you ask? Well, years ago Norm Green took our Stars to Dallas (a bitter pill we were forced to swallow) and left me with no other choice but to shop the NHL for a new team. I spent a little time with the Blues (Curtis Joseph!) and a little time with Toronto (Felix Potvin!) but for the past 17 years or so it’s been Wings all the way.

Of course when the Wild are playing any team other than the Wings I’ll don my Wild gear and proudly stand. I am a Minnesotan after all.

There is something about going to a Wild game-

The little kid skating to center ice with the Wild flag, standing between the refs for the National Anthem:

The Mighty Mites game between the 1st and 2nd periods.

The Wild Anthem:

Makes me tear up every time.

There are no boys in my immediate family and none of my sisters or I played hockey. I hope beyond hopes that my boys love the sport as much as I do (and my family does). It’s like a rite of passage here in Minnesota. Learning to skate on a frozen pond.

Every time I see little kids on the ice I get chills thinking about my boys out there and I look forward to endless hours spent sitting in chilly arenas.

A girl can dream, right?

• No Related Posts

8 Comments on “The State of Hockey.”

1. 1 Mr. Wonderful said at 1:11 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

I always think of the boys when i see the kid with the flag at the begining of games too. First they need to practice sharing and using one stick at a time.

2. 2 mrs.leah.maria said at 1:24 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

I could have written this post, well you know except for that whole Detroit thing. And Mr. Wonderful, he always reminds me of my little guy too. I hope they someday have the opportunity. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. 3 mrs.leah.maria said at 1:42 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

Seriously, how can you not just beam at that little guy?

4. 4 Anonymous said at 2:09 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

I'm sure the love of hockey you have has nothing to do with you sitting in cold arenas and sitting in the press box during the games when your Dad coached. We would just put on the snowsuit and off we would go. One of our 1st sitters was a sister of one of his players!!

Hockey has been there since day 1 for you. You were born during the "best hockey game of the year" actually!!!!

Mom

5. 5 Miss Erin said at 2:12 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

I attribute my early love for hockey to being born during the State tourney. It's the first thing I knew.

And yes Leah- I can barely get through the intro without tears. Imagine! Watch, our boys will all play tennis.

6. 6 Uncle Mike said at 5:38 pm on January 22nd, 2010:

No way! Lincoln and Wyatt both look like they want to check someone.

7. 7 sscar.az said at 11:09 am on January 24th, 2010:

What you haven't bought them their first pair of skates yet??? There was a certin gym teacher/bufffalo boys hockey coach that had his kids skating by the time they were 18m-2y.lol Ok a lil crazy.

I wish my kids had that oprtunity to play hockey. It's just not the same here.

FYI~ both of my boys are named after hockey players!! Christian(christian hockey sticks) Joseph(CoJo) and Ryan Patrick (Patrick Roy).
    I love hockey!!!

8. 8 Jessica said at 11:09 pm on January 30th, 2010:

I hope and pray that my little ones will LOVE hockey too! I was/am biter about the stars ๐Ÿ˜‰ Still a wild fan through and through.

I was lucky enough to be able to play Ringette when I was younger until Girls Hockey came about….Super fun sport from Canada.