Epic.

Posted: March 5th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: Misc. | 8 Comments »

*****I’ll be frank- this post is about poop. You might want to turn around now if you’re in the middle of lunch. Consider yourself warned.*****

We’ve been dealing with constipation for months- it got much worse when the boys switched over from formula to whole milk. We’ve had various levels of success with prune juice, but have recently added Miralax to the mix.

A half dose of Miralax hasn’t really been doing the trick so Dr. B suggested a full dose would be just fine. So we’ve been doing that, on occasion. More often than not I’ve just mixed the half dose with the prune juice- sort of a double whammy if you will.

We’ve had more frequent and less painful poops in the past few weeks. Life is good.

Today I saw the biggest blow-out I’ve ever seen in my life.

The boys are eating lunch in the kitchen, I hear that tell-tale gurgle and know I’ll have a messy diaper as soon as lunch is over. The boys continue to chomp on their guacamole potatoes and roasted veggies (and maybe a little mac and cheese). I go to get Lincoln out of his seat, clean him off and go to attend to Wyatt.

That’s when I see it.

The small puddle on the floor.

Wyatt gives me one of his 100 watt smiles and I dare to peek below the tray on his high chair. The green and white polka-dotted diaper has seen better days. Lucky for me Wyatt refused to be dressed after his last diaper change so there were no pants to strip off of him, but man- it was a mess.

I cleaned up the floor, put Lincoln in the living room, Stanley in the kitchen, Wyatt in the bathtub and the poor polka-dotted diaper right into the toilet. Once every nook and cranny (on Wyatt- I’ll get to the high chair later) was rinsed out and clean we went right back into a diaper (Up and Up I’m counting on YOU to contain whatever comes out of my son in the next few hours) and down for a nap. Poops like that take a lot out of you.

I’ve been doing this for almost 16 months. We’ve had a few blow-outs, not many, but a few. I’ve never seen anything like this. I’m beginning to see that constipation has some benefits. I’m procrastinating cleaning out the high chair*. I’m afraid to see what is happening in my toilet. My poor poor Super Whisper Wrap….you’ve been my favorite diaper in the arsenal and now I’m afraid I’ll never be able to repair you.

Did I mention Mr. Wonderful is going out after work with Mr. Cook? Enjoy your Man Date honey- you’ve been working hard the past few months, you deserve it!

*Thank God for bleach.

• No Related Posts

8 Comments on “Epic.”

1. 1 Jes said at 3:46 pm on March 5th, 2010:

I'm not versed in baby digestive issues, but what about yogurt? might regulate them out a bit, or are babies not allowed to have yogurt…okay I know nothing ignore me lol.

Back to my oatmeal…

2. 2 Beki said at 3:55 pm on March 5th, 2010:

The man dates only happen when you really, really wish he'd just come home instead– and clean the high chair.

I'd ask you to join us at the Y for some swimming while our men go on a date, but I think with Wyatt's, um… issues, perhaps a pool is out today. =)

Oh, and we need to talk about a "pre-sale" again, if you want to come over. I have NOTHING organized yet, but have high hopes for next week.

3. 3 Miss Erin said at 3:55 pm on March 5th, 2010:

They love yogurt, but it doesn't seem to help much in the regulating department- even Activia. I'm actually happy I didn't stop him up with the banana I gave him this morning to tide him over while I made breakfast burritos. Bananas are our worst enemy.

4. 4 The Bormann Family said at 4:25 pm on March 7th, 2010:

Just wanted to pop over and say hi. I follow the foster family and saw your comment. I live in MN and have 16 month old twin boys too!

I'm super ready for summer too, we actually went outside for a little bit today!

5. 5 Melissa said at 7:13 pm on March 9th, 2010:

Ugh…freaking constipation. I had to completely take Eli off of whole milk and put him on alternative milks. He's happier. My grocery budget is not.

I'm sorry about that high chair…and the diaper 🙁

6. 6 happygal said at 10:28 am on March 10th, 2010:

Ahhh, the joys of parenting. Hope this is the last one like that for a long time! Love the comment about bleach 🙂

7. 7 Angela said at 5:50 pm on March 11th, 2010:

Wait till they play in it too! One of our trips had this issue and we had to start suppositories and I was NOT happy about it, neither was she. So on a whim I took her to our chiropractor (long story, but I was their biggest critic) he felt along her back and about where the spine sends nerves to the bowels is where she winced and pulled up her leg. He clicked on that spot with his activator and whaaalaaaa, she went every 2 days to begin with and now everyday without a recheck from him! Food for thought! It totally worked and if somethings not lining up right it can definetly affect functions!

8. 8 Lisa said at 2:10 pm on March 12th, 2010:

My daycare provider said that black Karo syrup works wonders for constipation. I've never tried it (haven't had to).

I've had a few poop blowout incidents with my 4 month old, and I'm not looking forward to ones like you've described, :).