Why Slacker Mom?

Posted: November 6th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: Misc. | Tags: Fail, Mom stuff | 6 Comments »

I’ve been wanting to separate my writing from my family blog for awhile now.  I’m pretty sure the grandparents don’t give a hoot about why we rear-face (although they should) and would rather see more pictures of their precious grandsons but I was finding that I would write less and less as it was.  I thought maybe making the jump to wordpress while I was on maternity leave would afford me a little extra time to get things up and running around here.  Right!  Um, I had a newborn.  and toddler twins.  What was I thinking?

I’m doing it anyways.  However long it takes to get this space exactly how I want it may take longer than I thought, but it’s my new place to write, so that’s that.

So…why The Slacker Mom?

Well, because Yogi Dad nixed Half-Ass Mom.  Which is kind of what I consider myself.

I’ve never, ever had to do it alone for more than a day or two at a time.  Not since the boys were about 4 months old anyways.

You see, about a month after I went back to work the first time, we got a nanny.  She’s here 4 days a week while I sleep.  She goes to doctors appointments and helps me at the Children’s Museum.  She takes them to the park and walks them up to the store to pick out snacks with their “allowance”.  She wrangles them better on her own than I ever could.  If I have to get them into or out of the car on my own it’s the only thing I’m thinking about as I drive- the logistics give me nightmares.

I may be a delayed vaxer and a breastfeeder and a cloth diaperer and a rear-facer and a sometimes baby-wearer and a co-sleeper and a homemade babyfood maker not to mention a couponista who can cut down the grocery budget in a flash…but I kind of fail at the actual “Mom” stuff.  Until I was on maternity leave they would run to any number of people before they would come to me.  It was pretty sad really.

So I’m trying to figure this out here, two years into it.  How do I get three kids into the car on my own.  How do I wrangle them in public on my own.  How do I fit in time to upload pictures (or print them out and mail them to relatives) so people will get off my ass about never seeing pictures of my kids.  How do I make a trip to Target and use the big scary cart…on my own?  Actually, I don’t ever have to take them to Target with me and am thankful for that, so the big scary cart thing might never happen.  You get the idea.

Oh, and I had no idea there was a set of books (The Slacker Mom and the Slacker Wife) when I chose this domain.  Seriously, I should do a little research before I go domain shopping, or something.

So what do you think?  Am I a Slacker Mom?  I’m certainly not a Super mom and I don’t strive to be.  The reasons we do the things we do are out of necessity most of the time.  Where do you fall on the Mom spectrum?

*I should probably say that Yogi Dad does not fall into the Slacker category at all.  He works all day and is 100% Dad when he gets home.  He’s awesome.  Another reason I’ve been able to get this far without accidentally leaving one behind.

6 Comments on “Why Slacker Mom?”

1. 1 Chelsea said at 1:27 pm on November 6th, 2010:

You and me both, girl! I feel like I'm failing Ben all day, every day. And he totally prefers everyone to me! I thought I'd be a natural mom, but the truth is, I have to work so hard at it every day. If it matters, I think you're awesome! You have THREE KIDS!!!!

2. 2 erinclot said at 10:48 pm on November 6th, 2010:

You've had so many issues to deal with though- and seriously, you are like Uber mom trying to figure everything out so he can be a healthy kid. And you are pregnant and have a husband who travels. You totally get a pass.

3. 3 erinclot said at 10:54 pm on November 6th, 2010:

I feel like a slacker though. Like every other Mom had to figure this stuff out months ago, and here I am, never having braved the doctors office without a helper- do you know how many times we've been to the docotrs in the past 2 years? Maybe it's just smart or maybe it's lazy, I don't know. Would I have been able to do it if I didn't have people around me to help? I don't know, probably. But probably really badly. And the nanny thing, it was the only way we could do daycare and not go bankrupt- trying to find openings for twin infants is a nightmare. And I feel much better with them home while I'm home anyway. Like if something happened, I'd be there to deal with it. I recommend it to any mother of multiples.

4. 4 Jenna said at 1:14 pm on November 7th, 2010:

Oh Erin. You are NOT a slacker mom! First of all, I don't have any other duties when I'm watching the boys. I don't have to worry about grocery shopping or getting pictures online to show the long distance relatives. I don't have to worry about pumping milk or scheduling vaccination appointments. I don't need to figure out the best way to diaper those boys of yours or the safest way to put the seats in the car. I've certainly never had to pack a car for a two week trip for 5 people in a limited space. All of those things you do ARE the actual mom stuff. I just show up and do the fun babysitter stuff. Everything I do is made easier because of everything you have put into place. When it's all said and done at the end of the day, I go home and you go off to work, but not before cooking dinner for your family. Don't be so hard on yourself, because in my opinion, you're doing a damn good job. You're also paving the way for me and Ryon. I know that when it's my turn to be a mom, I'll be looking to you for advice. Which cloth diapers work the best? What vaccinations should we do first? How can you fit three car seats in one car? Is it really possible to cram 2 adults, 2 toddlers, and one newborn into a car, drive across the country and live to tell the tale? You are in no way shape or form a slacker of a mom. I look up to you everyday, and I love you.

5. 5 vlc Media player free download said at 5:21 pm on November 7th, 2010:

hello

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

6. 6 Lindsay said at 9:13 am on December 4th, 2010:

Ok, I know I'm late posting a comment to this blog but I just *had* to…you're NOT a slacker Mom! You're a busy work-outside-the-home Mom to two 2 year olds and a newborn. There is no manual or check list to what makes a good Mom outside of loving, nurturing and protecting your children to the absolute best of your ability. I don't know you IRL but I think you fit that bill!