Biting biters and their teeny tiny teeth.

Posted: February 9th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: #Judahthetank, Breastfeeding, Goals, Lincolnton and Wy | 13 Comments »

Judah the Tank is giving me a run for my money.

We’ve been dealing with thrush for oh, I don’t know, 3 months now?  As soon as I think it’s gone, it flares back up in a crevice I hadn’t noticed before.  Thrush is a pain in the patoot, you just pass it back and forth until you either get rid of it somehow or throw in the towel.  I for one will not throw in the towel over thrush.  Thankfully it hasn’t posed too many issues for us other than being a nuisance that we can’t get rid of.

Our newest hurdles are the two teeth that sprung from his gums just 10 days ago.  He is now in the habit of biting, and biting hard.  And they are sharrrrrrp. (weep)  We’ve tried the things that have been suggested from Kellymom and the Leaky Boob Facebook page but so far nothing has been a deterrent.  I’m told it’s a phase and I think it probably has something to do with them being so sharp and him not liking how they feel on his little tongue but it’s enough to bring tears to your eyes.  Some days I just tense up thinking about it and on more than one occasion this week I reached for my pump instead of nursing.  I needed a mental as well as a physical break from it, , a cup of something warm, a moment to myself to at least dream of being able to soak in a bath, do my nails, whiten my teeth and then get back to reality.

With the twins I had to overcome a few things- not the least which was their utter lack of interest in nursing.  Lincoln had jaundice and was very hard to rouse to eat.  I’d nurse for 40-60 minutes and get maybe a handful of swallows out of him.  Wyatt was on the small side and had difficulty with latching from the beginning although he was eager to try.  After awhile though, he went into what we called “lock-down“, nothing was getting past those lips….Eventually the boys weaned themselves and my milk dried up shortly thereafter.  My supply issues were so great that the day after I stopped pumping my milk was gone.

This time around, I am working really hard to make it happen.  I’m having a lot of the same issues- supply namely and the other little hurdles that pop up now and then.  Thankfully I don’t have to pump as often as I did when I was working, my hat is off to all of the exclusively pumping moms out there- THAT is quite a feat!

It’s tough to see a good outcome when you are in the trenches.  I have been lucky.  I have a biter, but I still have all of my flesh intact.  Nursing has never been painful (until now), mostly frustrating.  There are a million things that can go wrong and when you have a baby who needs the stars aligned *just so* to get things to work, it can be a battle you don’t want to face.

Find the support you need.  Ask for what you need, don’t expect people to know exactly what you need or want from them in terms of support (Thank you Colleen for that advice!).  Find your one person, your people, your tribe that you can count on.  I found that Twitter was awesome at 3am while I was pumping.  I could throw out a question and I usually got an answer or support back shortly.

We’re all going to have bumps in the road.  It’s a matter of how big the bumps are and how far you are willing to go to overcome them.  With the boys, I was so far behind in keeping up with their needs pumping that the right decision was to stop pumping shortly after they had stopped nursing.  Too much of the day was stolen away from them for very little in return.  With Judah we are moving along just fine and I am comfortable giving him a bottle if he is not satisfied after he’s nursed.  Now this biting thing…..I’ll get back to you on that one 😉

13 Comments on “Biting biters and their teeny tiny teeth.”

1. 1 morgan said at 10:42 pm on February 9th, 2011:

I always just shove my kiddos face deep in the boob when he bites.. He has to stop biting to come up for air. WOrks great.

2. 2 erinclot said at 10:46 pm on February 9th, 2011:

I have been putting that move into effect all day and it seems to be working. I don't think he's getting the hint, but he is unclenching the teeth- it's a start!

3. 3 Jen J. said at 11:07 pm on February 9th, 2011:

Ouch! I’m not a big fan of Levi chomping on my fingers with no teeth, so I can only imagine nipple + baby teeth = more than unpleasant. Hopefully some of the other mamas out there will have some other tips you can try with Judah.

4. 4 erinclot said at 10:21 pm on February 11th, 2011:

when he's fussy and I can't tell if he's hungry or just mad I stick my finger in there for a "trial run". If he sucks, he gets to nurse, if he chomps, we move on to something else. It's VERY scientific!

5. 5 Brie L said at 11:34 pm on February 9th, 2011:

Ugh, thrush is soooooooooo stupid!!!! PJ had it and it made me crazy! First of all….just, ew! Thrush is gross! Second, we had the same thing- juuuuuuust when we thought it was gone, one of those little bastard white patches would pop back up! Thrush is dumb, dumb, dumb! But, hang in there, mama! This thrushy-teethy-bitey thing will pass and in the meantime, what an awesome job you're doing!!!!

6. 6 erinclot said at 10:21 pm on February 11th, 2011:

Best comment ever. Thrush is a bastard. the end.

7. 7 wendykate99 said at 7:07 am on February 10th, 2011:

I thought we had thrush once, but it turns out my son has geographic tongue! (?) I feel lucky that we've never gone through it, because nobody needs something to make breastfeeding more difficult. I feel for you! As for the biting, I have been bitten (hard!) but it hasn't really posed a problem. I just put my son down and stop nursing him for a minute, and he pretty much gets the idea. He usually gives some signs that he's bored before he bites, so as long as I'm paying attention I can see it coming.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

8. 8 erinclot said at 10:23 pm on February 11th, 2011:

I am quickly learning the signs of boredom and I'm putting my phone down while he nurses (I love to nurse and Tweet!) so I'm not distracted. It's getting better as the week goes on.

9. 9 Darcy said at 9:38 am on February 10th, 2011:

I'm a tad worried about Rissa getting her teeth and biting..she already yanks my nipple around like crazy!

10. 10 erinclot said at 10:23 pm on February 11th, 2011:

He was a yanker which wasn't every a problem before teeth. Now I wish I hadn't let him get in the habit of yanking.

11. 11 Bug's Mom said at 12:31 pm on February 11th, 2011:

Oh god! I'm having enough trouble as it is. I can't even think about teeth!

12. 12 erinclot said at 10:24 pm on February 11th, 2011:

I guess it's inevitable, they are going to get teeth. I suppose if women nurse until their kids are toddlers there must be a way to get around the biting. It'sll work out eventually.

13. 13 PDF Torrent Download said at 2:28 pm on April 12th, 2011:

I admire your blog , it has of lot of information. You just got one perennial visitor of this site. http://www.apnatorrents.com/download-the-baby-book-everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-baby-from-birth-to-age-two-revised-and-updated-edition-pdf-torrent.html