Baby Led Weaning

Posted: March 16th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: #Judahthetank, Baby Led Weaning, Breastfeeding, Food, Kids, Lincolnton and Wy | 12 Comments »

JudahloveseggsSo there is this thing out there called Baby Led Weaning that I had never really heard of before a few months ago.  It’s a way of feeding your infant that has totally simplified my life.

A little background…With the boys, I couldn’t wait to start making purees.  I was failing hard at breastfeeding because of supply and latch issues and I wanted something that I could do, that would be perfectly healthy and wholesome and THE BEST.  Something I couldn’t fail at.  I could steam fruit and puree veggies with the best of them.  It’s not like I needed to grow the fruits and veggies myself.  It. Was. On.

So I did that.  I set aside time each week to mix up concoctions and I really enjoyed it.  With the help of Weelicious I was able to come up with quite a few pretty awesome eats for the boys.  They were super eaters.

Then we went to transition to actual solid foods in their normal solid food forms.

No. Go.

Not only were they not interested in the things they had been devouring just days before, I was at a loss as to what to cook for them.

We fell into a rut with homemade mini-meatloaves and chicken fingers and mac and cheese, but from there it just didn’t translate.  They didn’t want the veggies.  They rejected the fruits.  Everything hit the floor in pretty short order.

I went from feeling really great about what my boys were eating to feeling like a failure who was giving them a steady diet of quick and easy foods.  Homemade or not, a chicken nugget is a chicken nugget.

It took a long time to get them to just eat whatever we were eating.

With Judah, I would love to avoid that transition.

So we’re just letting him eat what we’re eating.  You heard me right.

We have steak…he has steak.

Hold the phone!  You give a 7 month old STEAK?

Yep.  And he loves it.

Sure he’s not gulping down copious amounts of purees and rice cereal, but he’s getting a taste of the good stuff.  He’s learning to feed himself.  He’s letting us know when he’s had enough instead of me just shoveling it in until the bowl is empty.

It’s pretty awesome.

As a bonus I get a chance to rethink what I’m feeding the rest of the family.  If I’m feeding it to Judah I want it to be as close to natural as possible.  He’s not getting a lot of seasoning, he’s not getting a lot of sauce, he’s getting a lot of meats and veggies and fruit and not a lot of filler.  We all benefit from that.

I’m not feeding him to get him to sleep longer or breastfeed less because Lord knows he loves to breastfeed and nighttime is no exception.

This may seem like some new-fangled parenting thing but after talking with some women with kids the same age as the boys, it sounds like it’s something people just kind of gravitate towards as they add more kids to the mix.  You want to simplify and get everyone to the table at once.  It seems almost, dare I say…lazy!

Whatever you want to call it, it’s working for us.  Judah LOVES to get his hands on new foods and a lot of the time he’s actually getting a lot of it down!

The best part?  This breastfeeding thing that I’ve fought so hard to maintain?  Doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere anytime soon.

*I’m a guest poster over at  the Baby Led Weaning Blog, you should check out the great rotation of Moms who are sharing their journey’s!

12 Comments on “Baby Led Weaning”

1. 1 Colleen said at 9:35 pm on March 16th, 2011:

I never knew what this was called, but this is what we've done with the twins. The four year-old is a TERRIBLE eater, and since I didn't breastfeed him at all – well, you can imagine the extreme guilt feelings I've been drowning in. The Twinstroms eat WHATEVER we eat. We did a quick shortcut to finger foods ASAP, and just literally always give them whatever we eat (save for the extreme allergens – peanuts and the like). In fact, they NEVER EVER did rice cereal. They just dove right in, and so far, I couldn't be happier. At 15 months, they will literally eat anything that I put in front of them. Since the Mr. and I are ridiculous foodies (hold your tongue about the cheese whiz beer cheese soup recipe), this is encouraging. We are still working on the four year-old and his ability/willingness to eat what we're eating.

Nice work, and thanks for connecting the dots for me. 🙂

2. 2 erinclot said at 9:46 pm on March 16th, 2011:

I'm so glad to hear you avoided the things I'm trying to avoid! I'm crossing my fingers. We're skipping all the peanuts egg whites etc. but other than that, the sky's the limit! I'm sure the four year-old is well schooled in all things foodie by his hip foodie parents who would never ever let cheeze whiz pass their lips! It's all double cream brie and pork belly over at this house! 🙂

3. 3 Nicole said at 10:08 pm on March 16th, 2011:

My daughter Zoey was always interested in our food. I guess I was too lazy to want to make it any harder on myself than I had to. & working 45 hrs/wk with a 45 mile commute didn’t help, especially when pumping at work. Anyway, Zoey LOVES her fruit and veggies and meat. Even venison. I stayed away from the fancy baby foods (no cobbler here) addnow she has learned to love all the good stuff. Had plenty of meals, on the go too, that were only cheese, canned veggies and fruits. It’ll be worth it in the long run. Zoey has discovered french fries now though…really just the ketchup part that she likes. I’ve also hard if they help you chok it, the odds are increased they will eat it. Been working so far here..

Good luck with all of it. Each new step is it’s own reward, right?

4. 4 Q&A: Help!! I need recipes that are simple or complicated, but very easy on the wallet!? | Cool Cooking Recipes said at 10:34 pm on March 16th, 2011:

[…] Baby Led Weaning […]

5. 5 Janine said at 10:34 pm on March 16th, 2011:

"Hold the phone! You give a 7 month old STEAK?" That sounds familiar. An online group I'm part of couldn't believe I gave my baby onion. (I wonder if they would have been more comfortable with it if I'd pureed it in with some carrots and applesauce.)

My mother didn't bat an eye when I told her Sebastian had tried brisket. It makes sense though – I don't think our ancestors had Baby Bullets.

6. 6 erinclot said at 10:37 pm on March 16th, 2011:

So true, although my mom did have the ancient food grinder.

I gave raw onions to Lincoln and Wyatt when I was cooking the other day and they ate them like apple slices. They won't eat a cheese quesadilla but they'll eat a raw onion. Kids!

7. 7 Darcy @ TFTN said at 6:20 pm on March 17th, 2011:

I'm checking out the BLW blog…. 🙂

8. 8 erinclot said at 7:32 pm on March 17th, 2011:

Thanks!

9. 9 kim mcintosh said at 10:36 pm on March 17th, 2011:

New follower from the breastfeeding blog hop! Glad I found your blog and this post. I am planning on following your mantra we eat it, our daughter eats it. Thank you for the confidence to do so!

10. 10 Jen - Life With Levi said at 3:04 pm on March 18th, 2011:

I love that you posted about giving Judah steak. I'm still scared of trying meats with Levi, but you've given me more confidence that it will be ok!

Thanks for co-hosting the Breastfeeding Blog Hop and contributing an awesome post.

11. 11 erinclot said at 3:35 pm on March 18th, 2011:

If I remember correctly Emily has a post about pulled pork on the Baby Led Weaning Blog. At first it's a lot of gumming and gnawing and sucking juices but eventually they start using those little teeth. On the tougher meats I give a fairly big/ long chunck so he can hold on pretty easily.

Last nights corned beef? He ate it all- started out as a fairly big piece but it was soft enough to gum right up.

12. 12 linwaites said at 3:35 pm on March 20th, 2011:

LOVE this post! You sound totally like me on why you decide to make homemade baby food with the twins. And, your experience with transitioning them to solids is exactly what I'm worried about. The problem is that we haven't been eating so well as a family lately, so I'm trying to work on so that he can start eating more of what we're eating.