truyen ma
Please don’t let this be it. | The Slacker Mom

Please don’t let this be it.

by Erin Clotfelter on 03/23/2011

Just when I thought we were in the clear.  Just when I thought maybe, just maybe we had made some headway in the supply department…she shows up.

Yep.  I got my period.  Sorry if that’s too much information but in the grand scheme of things, it’s really the last thing I wanted to see.

We seem to be back at square one with supply issues.  Constant nursing, Judah not being satisfied, more nursing…lather, rinse, repeat.  I know I should be pumping but to be honest?  I was ready to be done pumping.  Pumping just to get my supply up seems silly when I’ve got a baby who’s nursing 10+ times a day and not being satisfied.  If there was something there, he’d be doing a better job of getting it out than any pump ever could.

So I’ve started taking Reglan and Fenugreek and we’ve pretty much dropped the idea of him sleeping in his crib at night because I’d rather him nurse all night than sleep through it at this point.

It’s all so very frustrating.

I know I met our short-term goal of 6 months.  I know that.  I want to be OK with that if that is indeed all there is.  I guess we’re closer to 8 months now, but I was ready to get to 12 months.  Especially since everything has been going so swimmingly.

I know this doesn’t automatically mean the end.  I know that.  But, historically, for me?  Is HAS been the end.  All of these things, supply, return of the period, have meant the end.

I’m hoping I come out the other side of thsi with a rise in supply and I live to breastfeed another month, and another and another and another….then we can talk about this whole “weaning” issue.

Beacuse I am not ready today.

ETA: It is now August 4th, my son turns 1 today and we are still nursing. Only in the wee hours of the morning, but still going strong.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Bug's Mom March 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’m so sorry to hear you are struggling. That’s super crappy. I hope it turns around for you.

2 erinclot March 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I'm hoping it's just a little blip and it comes back. I will be super upset if it's not. What can you do though?

3 Alyssa March 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I'm sure you've tried everything. But oatmeal really works for me.

4 erinclot March 23, 2011 at 8:05 pm

How could I forget OATMEAL? I think I know what's for breakast from now on! Thanks Alyssa.

5 Ann M March 23, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Hang in there – it is common to have a dip the first few days of your period, but sometimes you get a little uptick around ovulation, so it kind of evens out. Blessed thistle worked well for me when I was having temporary dips due to hormones.

6 erinclot March 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Blessed Thistle- I haven't tried that yet. Putting it on the list.

7 themamabeth March 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Erin, I had NO issues with Adeline, and my second period after Lucy, she was practically nursing non-stop to fill her belly. We've made it to the other side now, and I actually had to dig out some breast pads because my frantic efforts apparently worked TOO well, and now I leak. Water water water water is all I can say. That and oatmeal (I never, ever want to eat another bite of oatmeal again GAG) worked for me.

8 erinclot March 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I hope this is the case. I'd rather have over supply and a reason to pump!

9 Jen - Life With Levi March 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I'm bummed our posts are kind of similar for the #BFBlogHop this week :( You've worked so hard at breastfeeding, and Judah has obviously benefited from all the nursing. I really hope that this is just a temporary dip and not really the end.

10 Sarah March 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Sorry to hear about the supply troubles. Could it be a combo of Growth spurt and eatting solids vs. a supply issue?? My advice have a good Dark beer and some oatmeal and relaxe it will work itself out. TRUST YOUR BODY!!!!!!!

11 erinclot March 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm

thanks Sarah! I think I'm totally up for that nice dark beer.

12 erinclot March 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm

It is kind of a bummer week :( how weird that it just happened to work out that way! Next week should be something like "Surprise Rebounds" or "What to do when you make too much!" that might turn our luck around.

13 mrsleahmaria March 25, 2011 at 9:35 am

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry. :(

14 mryjhnsn March 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

I am no expert but… does baby seem hungry during the day? Are you worried because your supply is low during the day only? And by low during the day I am also asking if he is nursing all night? And is he really nursing or is he using you as a pacifier?

I ask these because my personal experience with baby 2 is that she nursed all night and did not take that much during the day because she would rather have the real thing at night… in other words, she was full from nursing all night. I guess her feeding cycle was switched. She would take maybe two or three bottles during the day and then at night…

Everybody is different and this could just be me… So while on me ;) Beer helped my supply, the darker the better – not a lot maybe one or two a week at the most. Looking back maybe if I mixed it with oatmeal I would have pumped long lol.

Good luck, love!

15 erinclot March 25, 2011 at 1:06 pm

He's hungry and my supply is low all day. I used to be able to rebound between feedings a bit- even though we nurse a lot. Nursing was also one of the only ways I could get him to actually take a nap, now he just gets frustrated and mad. :(

16 mryjhnsn March 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Oh, love… :( I am sure it is temporary! Good Luck :)

17 JKieras March 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hi there – found ya thru the BF hop! http://www.ayearwithmomanddad.com

So sorry that SHE arrived! She visited me at FOUR months after birth… but I thankfully was able to keep nursing. Perhaps you're just on a bit of a slow just while SHE visits!? I used the Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk tea whenever I felt my supply dwindling and that really helped me out!! Good luck to you! Press on!!!

18 Darcy @ TFTN March 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I hope it's only temporary…or at least one of those remedies will help boost. SHE hasn't come to visit me yet… but then again her last visit was a good 2 months before we conceived. she's sneaky like that.

19 sooobig August 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time! I'm sure you've tried everything, but being dehydrated and not eating enough calories tanks my supply. It might be something to look at. Hang in there!
Crystal http://www.SoooBig.WordPress.com

20 erinclot August 4, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Things are GREAT now…this was written a few months ago (maybe 6?) I MADE my year goal!

21 sooobig August 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I didn't look at the date!! YAY! Congrats! :)

22 Nikki August 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Congrats on making it to a year, and happy birthday to your son!!
Nikki