Please don’t let this be it.

Posted: March 23rd, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: #Judahthetank, Blog Hop, Breastfeeding, Feelings, Goals, Weaning | 23 Comments »

Just when I thought we were in the clear.  Just when I thought maybe, just maybe we had made some headway in the supply department…she shows up.

Yep.  I got my period.  Sorry if that’s too much information but in the grand scheme of things, it’s really the last thing I wanted to see.

We seem to be back at square one with supply issues.  Constant nursing, Judah not being satisfied, more nursing…lather, rinse, repeat.  I know I should be pumping but to be honest?  I was ready to be done pumping.  Pumping just to get my supply up seems silly when I’ve got a baby who’s nursing 10+ times a day and not being satisfied.  If there was something there, he’d be doing a better job of getting it out than any pump ever could.

So I’ve started taking Reglan and Fenugreek and we’ve pretty much dropped the idea of him sleeping in his crib at night because I’d rather him nurse all night than sleep through it at this point.

It’s all so very frustrating.

I know I met our short-term goal of 6 months.  I know that.  I want to be OK with that if that is indeed all there is.  I guess we’re closer to 8 months now, but I was ready to get to 12 months.  Especially since everything has been going so swimmingly.

I know this doesn’t automatically mean the end.  I know that.  But, historically, for me?  Is HAS been the end.  All of these things, supply, return of the period, have meant the end.

I’m hoping I come out the other side of thsi with a rise in supply and I live to breastfeed another month, and another and another and another….then we can talk about this whole “weaning” issue.

Beacuse I am not ready today.

ETA: It is now August 4th, my son turns 1 today and we are still nursing. Only in the wee hours of the morning, but still going strong.

23 Comments on “Please don’t let this be it.”

1. 1 Bug's Mom said at 6:37 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

I’m so sorry to hear you are struggling. That’s super crappy. I hope it turns around for you.

2. 2 Alyssa said at 7:41 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

I'm sure you've tried everything. But oatmeal really works for me.

3. 3 Ann M said at 7:59 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

Hang in there – it is common to have a dip the first few days of your period, but sometimes you get a little uptick around ovulation, so it kind of evens out. Blessed thistle worked well for me when I was having temporary dips due to hormones.

4. 4 erinclot said at 8:06 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

Blessed Thistle- I haven't tried that yet. Putting it on the list.

5. 5 themamabeth said at 8:11 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

Erin, I had NO issues with Adeline, and my second period after Lucy, she was practically nursing non-stop to fill her belly. We've made it to the other side now, and I actually had to dig out some breast pads because my frantic efforts apparently worked TOO well, and now I leak. Water water water water is all I can say. That and oatmeal (I never, ever want to eat another bite of oatmeal again GAG) worked for me.

6. 6 Jen - Life With Levi said at 8:27 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

I'm bummed our posts are kind of similar for the #BFBlogHop this week 🙁 You've worked so hard at breastfeeding, and Judah has obviously benefited from all the nursing. I really hope that this is just a temporary dip and not really the end.

7. 7 Sarah said at 10:32 pm on March 23rd, 2011:

Sorry to hear about the supply troubles. Could it be a combo of Growth spurt and eatting solids vs. a supply issue?? My advice have a good Dark beer and some oatmeal and relaxe it will work itself out. TRUST YOUR BODY!!!!!!!

8. 8 erinclot said at 10:21 pm on March 24th, 2011:

It is kind of a bummer week 🙁 how weird that it just happened to work out that way! Next week should be something like "Surprise Rebounds" or "What to do when you make too much!" that might turn our luck around.

9. 9 mrsleahmaria said at 9:35 am on March 25th, 2011:

Oh Erin, I'm so sorry. 🙁

10. 10 mryjhnsn said at 9:44 am on March 25th, 2011:

I am no expert but… does baby seem hungry during the day? Are you worried because your supply is low during the day only? And by low during the day I am also asking if he is nursing all night? And is he really nursing or is he using you as a pacifier?

I ask these because my personal experience with baby 2 is that she nursed all night and did not take that much during the day because she would rather have the real thing at night… in other words, she was full from nursing all night. I guess her feeding cycle was switched. She would take maybe two or three bottles during the day and then at night…

Everybody is different and this could just be me… So while on me 😉 Beer helped my supply, the darker the better – not a lot maybe one or two a week at the most. Looking back maybe if I mixed it with oatmeal I would have pumped long lol.

Good luck, love!

11. 11 JKieras said at 7:22 pm on March 25th, 2011:

Hi there – found ya thru the BF hop! http://www.ayearwithmomanddad.com

So sorry that SHE arrived! She visited me at FOUR months after birth… but I thankfully was able to keep nursing. Perhaps you're just on a bit of a slow just while SHE visits!? I used the Traditional Medicinals Mother's Milk tea whenever I felt my supply dwindling and that really helped me out!! Good luck to you! Press on!!!

12. 12 Darcy @ TFTN said at 12:04 pm on March 27th, 2011:

I hope it's only temporary…or at least one of those remedies will help boost. SHE hasn't come to visit me yet… but then again her last visit was a good 2 months before we conceived. she's sneaky like that.

13. 13 sooobig said at 12:33 pm on August 4th, 2011:

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time! I'm sure you've tried everything, but being dehydrated and not eating enough calories tanks my supply. It might be something to look at. Hang in there!
    Crystal http://www.SoooBig.WordPress.com

14. 14 sooobig said at 12:59 pm on August 4th, 2011:

I didn't look at the date!! YAY! Congrats! 🙂

15. 15 Nikki said at 1:36 pm on August 4th, 2011:

Congrats on making it to a year, and happy birthday to your son!!
    Nikki
    makesperfectsense.blogspot.com

16. 16 Don't Criticize Me! | The Slacker Mom said at 3:22 pm on April 24th, 2012:

[…] feel strongly about many things pertaining to breastfeeding, Nursing in Public, Low Supply issues and Supplementing are probably tops on the list. I’m not always the most :ahem: gracious […]