BFBH Week 23: Back to Work!

Posted: June 9th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: #Judahthetank, Blog Hop, Blogging, Breastfeeding, Family, Feelings, Lincoln, Lincolnton and Wy, Nursing in Public, Pumping, Wyatt | 8 Comments »

This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog hop, hosted each Thursday and Friday by Life with Levi and co-hosted by myself and Diary of a Devil Dog Wife. The topic is new every week, join us!

During both of my pregnancies I knew that I would be going back to work at some point. For better or worse, that was the plan. Because of this I started pumping pretty much from day one. Maybe day two. I was always feed, pump, supplement or feed, pump, freeze. Always the pumping.

Of course I pumped at work as well. I was lucky in the fact that I had my own office where I could hole up and pump three times a night, but for the most part it wasn’t enough. Because of certain rules my company had in place, I was only afforded two 15-minute breaks and one 30-minute break. It would have been much better for my if I had been able to do three 20-minutes breaks, but it wasn’t an option. 15 minutes to set up, pump through 2 let-downs and clean-up and be back to work? It’s almost impossible. but, I suppose as long as I was given the option and the space to do it they don’t have to go out of their way to make it work for me.

Because of supply issues I was never able to build up any sort of stash for Judah. There were many mornings (I worked overnight) that my husband would frantically call and want to know if I could get home early because the milk was gone and Judah was going crazy. Of course I was a good little breastfeeding Mama and I didn’t dare let him have formula. It was so much better to torture him by not letting him eat! That’s sarcasm, in case you didn’t catch it. Eventually I did have to get formula because I couldn’t keep leaving work early and I was already pumping around the clock and nursing and it was never ever enough. He was like a bottomless pit.

In my experience, I really don’t know how you can sustain both breastfeeding and pumping while working. I could see exclusively pumping, because you aren’t feeding the baby and then trying to build up a stash with what is left, one or two ounces at a time. Judah could put down 8 ounces in a sitting at 3 months old. I could only pump between 2-6 ounces in a session. It just never equaled out.

Eventually I ended up staying home and although it wasn’t the only reason or even the main reason, a big reason we came to the decision was to salvage what was left of breastfeeding with Judah. I had to quit my job to make it work. In the months that followed I spent the better part of my day parked on the couch with Judah nursing and me tweeting on my Blackberry. A lot of things didn’t get done, but the most important thing was nursing Judah.

And that was enough for me.

8 Comments on “BFBH Week 23: Back to Work!”

1. 1 ewoman88 said at 9:41 am on June 9th, 2011:

she's awful, every time I say "My Baby" she says, "You mean, Our Baby"

we live with her right now, cuz my bf just started a new job after finishing school, but we hope to move out in september *crosses fingers*

2. 2 lilburghers said at 7:33 pm on June 9th, 2011:

Good luck! I too really want to get to that 6 month mark (one week to go), so I fully understand that aspect of your struggle. In the end, you have to know what is best for you and your family. Your MIL can give her opinion, but it's your choice in the end. Stay strong, try not to worry about the stash (ha! I say that but worry too) and find support from another BF'ing mama (even if it's any of us here online). Be proud of how far you've come!!!

3. 3 lilburghers said at 7:36 pm on June 9th, 2011:

I am jealous of you having your own office where you could pump!!! I have the same supply issue. . . and my husband is always worrying about when to feed him. Luckily, I introduced carrots last night and it's going well (day 2), so I think we're going to have me pump 2x and he feed the solids. Glad you were able to find serenity in being at home. 🙂

4. 4 towarzyskie said at 3:50 pm on June 16th, 2011:

Wrote this post I just acquired a little something from this. Superb articles or blog posts on this web site Regularly looking forward to latest posting.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘1528085760 which is not a hashcash value.

5. 5 Bernadine Tarras said at 3:33 am on July 17th, 2011:

Next time I learn a website, I really hope it doesn’t dissatisfy me personally being a lot because this a single. I mean, I know it had been my personal choice to learn, nevertheless I personally thought youd possess one thing interesting to say. Just about all My partner and i listen to can be a bunch of whining regarding something that you may well repair if you werent also hectic searching for interest.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘171795457 which is not a hashcash value.

6. 6 Antonio Reddoch said at 8:31 pm on July 17th, 2011:

this may be a excellent web page. I have never undergone this kind of high quality pleased. My opportunity is actually comparatively pleased. I’m to check out your internet site regurly as well as we do hope you modernize added. We should advise my close friends to the current spot. The data will probably be ideal for alternative living. My partner and i recommend these types of place to everybody. I like seeing this a whole lot. Thanks to you throughout such as top quality content articles.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘708666368 which is not a hashcash value.

7. 7 Cheap Beats by Dre said at 8:20 pm on July 18th, 2011:

Perhaps you have considered regarding such as more than just your articles? I am talking about, everything you think are useful and all. Nonetheless suppose a person added some great pictures or perhaps movies to give you a lot more! Your articles is fantastic however with photos and clips, this blog could certainly be one of the biggest in its area. Fantastic website!

8. 8 Donny Rediske said at 3:00 pm on July 31st, 2011:

I discovered so many fascinating things inside your website specifically the dialogue. In the a great deal of remarks in your content articles, I assume I am not alone possessing all the satisfaction here! keep up the good function.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘631919232 which is not a hashcash value.