truyen ma
Breastfeeding Blog Hop: ACCIDENTS | The Slacker Mom

Crying over Spilled Milk

by Erin Clotfelter on 06/16/2011

This post is a part of the weekly Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life with Levi and co-hosted by Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself. The hop runs every Thursday and Friday, we’d love it if you linked up your pertinent posts!

Those first few days home from the hospital are always so crazy at our house. The first time around it was because we had two babies and well, two babies is a bit crazy. The second time around it was because we had toddler twins and a newborn…I’m still going to blame the crazy on the twins. (Seriously, people who compare having “Irish” twins to having actual twins are kidding themselves. But that’s besides the point.)

Back to my story!

The first time I pumped at home after Judah was born and actually got something that was enough to get excited about…I accidentally dumped it all over my counter when I went to pour it into my little breast milk freezer bags. Awesome. When you have supply issues you never want to waste a drop, but there I was watching it drip onto the floor.

In my mind there was a slow motion scream like you’d see in the movies (Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!) but in reality it was more like “mother effing blankity blank blank blank @##%#%^$^!!!!”. I get a little salty in real life.

As someone with low supply I vacillate between wanting to never waste a drop and feeling like it doesn’t really matter because tomorrow there might not be anything left anyways, so what’s the point. I know, it’s kind of a harsh reality, but there you go.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, a few ounces of spilled milk is really nothing to cry over. I mean, I could have had a much bigger breastfeeding accident. Although I’m not sure what that might be…severed nipples?

What would you consider a breastfeeding “Ooops”?

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lisa | Mama.ie June 16, 2011 at 2:51 am

I am all too familiar with the concept of crying over spilled milk. My son was about four weeks old, and I was too sore to feed him, so I set my alarm clock for about 30 minutes before I expected him to wake, and dutifully woke at 3.30am and pumped a whole 4-5oz!! I was so proud of myself. Until he woke a while later, and I went to feed him and ended up pouring the whole lot over the poor baby because in my tired delirious state I hadn't screwed the teat back on the bottle. When I tilted it the milk just poured straight out onto him. My husband woke up to find the baby saturated and me bawling my eyes out! Luckily there was an ounce or two left in the bottle, which the baby drank and went straight to sleep. It took me a while longer to relax! :)

2 erinclot June 16, 2011 at 9:08 am

It\’s the worst feeling ever! We had a few bottles that we could never get the tops to screw on correctly and had a major milk mess on more than one occasion. It really makes feeding time a little more stressful when you accidentally pour everything on their little faces. And yes, much more stress for you as the Mom. No wonder we\’re so on edge!

3 ewoman88 June 16, 2011 at 8:14 am

nooooo!!!! I am so paranoid about spilling the milk I pump! I forgot about the bottle I had pumped a couple of nights ago and I found it in the morning 10 hours later :(
Worst feeling EVER!

4 erinclot June 16, 2011 at 9:06 am

I think I did that a few times with the twins. Middle of the night pumping was always a hazard when you are working on no sleep!

5 Jen - Life With Levi June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Ugh – spilled milk is the worst! Ok, some things would be worse, like severed nipples, but it's pretty high on the list.

6 Flip June 30, 2011 at 9:58 am

Kewl you sohlud come up with that. Excellent!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ’0 which is not a hashcash value.

7 Baby Friendly NL June 16, 2011 at 10:42 pm

My very first day back to work after my second was born, I snuck off and pumped and then popped the container of milk inside a lunchbag in the fridge. Before leaving I put it in my briefcase but left the lunchbag in the fridge thinking I might forget to bring it the next day. Of course the container popped open and leaked all over my new briefcase, my new agenda, and a bunch of files I was bringing home. Not sure what made me cry more, the spilled milk or the utter chaos!

8 ashleyt921 June 17, 2011 at 6:51 am

I have cried over spilled milk… ruined milk.. all. LOL I've spilled milk and my husband has "forgotten" to tell the babysitter there was milk in the diaper bag. Ugh!

9 lilburghers June 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Joining the list of others who've cried over spilled milk! It's liquid gold!

10 casey colette June 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Just stopping by from Locomotion of Expressions! Found you on a blog hop! Now following! Please follow me via GFC back and lets grow each others ratings! http://1caseycolette.blogspot.com! Cute stuff! xo

11 Kerriann June 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

BION I’m iemprsesd! Cool post!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ’0 which is not a hashcash value.

12 Ghena February 26, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Breastfeeding is very essential to new born baby. Nothing compare on the nutrients you can get from breast milk. Save money and time. No hassle and stress. There are a lot of benefits you can have when you are breastfeeding.
My recent post puffy eyes from crying

13 Mika Castro March 26, 2012 at 2:56 am

Breast feeding is an healthy way to make baby more stronger as they are taking in nutritious milk from mommies.
My recent post שיווק סלולרי