Up to The Lake

Posted: September 5th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Out and About | Tags: family pics, mothering, nostalgia, The Lake | 6 Comments »

Every Summer we head up to the lake to partake in the normal lake activities. Swimming. Eating. Hanging out.

Every year I take a picture of the boys doing one specific thing: walking down the path to the lake.

4th of July weekend 2009 (8 months):

4th of July 2010 (20 months old):

And Labor Day weekend 2011 (33 months and 13 months):

It was so cold, there was no swimming and we stayed just long enough to take our pics and eat our picnic lunch.  But I did get my pictures.  (We stopped at the Walleye in Garrison too- a must-do for Minnesota kids who grow up going Up North to The Lake on weekends.)

I love seeing the changes from year to year. The first year, just the twins sitting in the grass, facing away from the camera. Two years later, three boys running every which way! It’s a pretty good glimpse of our life right now- crazy.

As I was digging for the pics from 2009 and 2010 I was scrolling through my old posts. It’s interesting to look back through the old blog and see what was happening a year ago, two years ago. I wrote this post in 2009 about how I felt like a fake mom and I think this is still kind of true.

Do you ever feel like you’re faking it? When does that go away? Does it ever go away?! Here come the shameless plugs: I have lots of places you can find me when I’m not here: Twitter! Facebook! StarTribune.com! Following on Google Friend Connect is always welcome and if you Stumble my posts because you think they are made of The Awesome, well, I might just love you forever.

• No Related Posts

6 Comments on “Up to The Lake”

1. 1 Jessica said at 4:57 pm on September 5th, 2011:

I'm not a parent by any means so bear with me, what do you mean by faking it?

2. 2 erinclot said at 5:11 pm on September 5th, 2011:

Sometimes it just feels like it's not real. Like at any moment the *real* Mom (June Cleaver? Mrs. Brady?) is going to walk through the door and take over. Maybe it comes from second guessing every decision I make (and having others question my decisions). I think I first felt it the moment I left the hospital- they just let you LEAVE! Without forking over fistfuls of cash and signing my life away! I mean, obviously I'm their Mom, I just don't always feel like a *real* Mom. It's weird.

3. 3 julie said at 7:40 pm on September 5th, 2011:

You are a "real" Mom!!! June Cleaver is not a real mom, although we all strive to be like her, or wish it was that easy to be a Mom. You have some very tough decisions and obstacles in your life right now. You are doing a great job. I know when I first brought you home,I remember thinking it felt like I was babysitting. I couldn't believe that I had my own real baby!!! But you stayed and you kept coming back when you left. LOL!!
    I love the picture. It's the boys right now and that makes it "real"

Mom

4. 4 erinclot said at 7:45 pm on September 5th, 2011:

That's exactly how it feels- like I'm babysitting! Except I don't get paid for it and I don't get to go home at the end of the night 😉

5. 5 julie said at 9:36 pm on September 6th, 2011:

You are getting paid BIG TIME!!! Whenever Wyatt reads his Cookie Monster book or asks for breakfast, or Lincoln grabs your hand to take you somewhere,or Judah just giggles, That is your payment. The best kind. Enjoy!!!

xxoo

6. 6 erinclot said at 8:59 pm on September 8th, 2011:

This is true. And now fruit snacks and granola bars and just plain whining that he\’s hungry. This kid!