My Wish

Posted: September 8th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Parenting | Tags: Hopes and Dreams, My Wish For You, Words to Live By | 12 Comments »

When I was pregnant, I had one vision for my kids.

I wanted them to play hockey.

I wanted little boys and I wanted them to be brave and rough and good on skates. I wanted to spend my weekends at the rink and my mornings drinking coffee on the way to practices that woke us up way earlier than the sun.

Lincoln's 1st time on skates (January 2011)

I think that’s a pretty typical dream for moms in Minnesota.

Of course, I still cling to that dream, kind of. I mean there is still a chance they *could* play hockey in some capacity. But there are plenty of hurdles before we get there.

So now, my hopes and dreams and visions for my boys (all of them) are thus:

To be fair.
To be kind.
To be accepting.
To be true to themselves.
To try their hardest.
To love each other.

(And please, no wrestling or basketball!)

This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life with Levi, Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself. This week we’re taking a break from breastfeeding to talk about what we want our kids to be when they grow up! Link up your post- this one is open to everyone!

What are your hopes and dreams for your kids? Link up your own post and tell me in my comments. When i’m not here, you can find me: On Twitter! On Facebook! On StarTribune.com! Following on Google Friend Connect is always welcome and if you Stumble my posts because you think they are made of The Awesome, well, I might just love you forever.

• No Related Posts

12 Comments on “My Wish”

1. 1 clot77 said at 5:15 am on September 8th, 2011:

I love this post. It almost made me tear up. All too often you hear people wanting their kids to be a great athlete, scholar, president whatever and these things get overlooked. Very well put

2. 2 erinclot said at 8:59 pm on September 8th, 2011:

๐Ÿ˜‰

3. 3 Salt in Suburbia said at 7:06 am on September 8th, 2011:

This post almost made me tear up too. I think you just articulated my Husband’s dream. My ASD twins did play hockey for two years (Dad helped coach). They are great skaters, but not great players. I don’t think they will play again this year, but their little sister is going to give it a try. I don’t know what to say. I was glad they could do it, but it was hard to be the mom on the sidelines of the two kids were not listening and not doing what they were supposed to.
    Salt in Suburbia recently posted..Bicycle Errand UpgradeMy Profile

4. 4 erinclot said at 8:58 pm on September 8th, 2011:

We\’ll see what happens, I\’ve heard there is some sort of adapted hockey for kids with autism, I\’m sure the team work part is a little, uh…difficult. (To say the least)

5. 5 motherwifeteacher said at 12:29 pm on September 8th, 2011:

I actually wrote about this exact thing back in July, here: http://motherwifeteacher.wordpress.com/2011/07/04

And here: http://motherwifeteacher.wordpress.com/2011/07/04

I think that really, your list is a good list for any child, autism or no autism. As much as we all wish for our kids to be the next great ______, really what matters is that our kids are good human beings. Everything else is just a bonus.

6. 6 erinclot said at 8:57 pm on September 8th, 2011:

Great posts- both of them. It\’s funny how once they are here we just want them to be good people.

7. 7 Jeniffer Smith said at 1:49 pm on September 8th, 2011:

I love the honesty in this! Yes, there are things we want for our kids. Things that often fit into our mindsets. But. When we really think about it, all that we want is for our children to be themselves. And to be the best them they can!

8. 8 erinclot said at 9:02 pm on September 8th, 2011:

Yes, it's tough to think about that sometimes. They aren't going to be little forever, they need to grow up and be "good". And *we* get to teach them how to get there!

9. 9 Candida said at 10:53 pm on September 8th, 2011:

Seriously- Only a Minnesotan (or Canadian, I guess) would think that! Love it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Breastfed: A breastfeeding blog for the modern mama.

10. 10 MamaGeeky said at 9:57 am on September 9th, 2011:

LOL @ no wrestling! I love your hopes/dreams/visions for your boys ๐Ÿ™‚

11. 11 Charity said at 6:52 pm on September 9th, 2011:

No wrestling or basketball, hee hee. Yeah, never thought to cross my mind to hope for Hockey Players ๐Ÿ™‚

12. 12 Candice Michelle said at 3:10 am on April 19th, 2012:

Enter text right herVery inspiring post for me, because all we want to do is too see our child to be happy always and to learn something new.e!
    My recent post ื™ื•ื ื”ืขืฆืžืื•ืช