Breastfeed Your Doll…

Posted: September 15th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: Breastfeeding Blog Hop, Breastfeeding Doll | 8 Comments »

Have you seen this?

I’m guessing you have, I mean, it’s been everywhere. You know, because it’s quite controversial.

It’s the Breastfeeding Doll.

People kind of hate this doll.

Personally, I don’t see the issue (other than the fact that it’s price is astronomical) I say carry on! We’ve seen worse- dolls that poop and pee for example. Sure, this particular doll is over the top with it’s nursing tank, but I don’t think it’s all about this doll. I think it’s a big culture change for people to go from seeing little girls feeding their dolls with a bottle to seeing them pretend to nurse their dolls.*

Little girls are going to pretend. They are going to imitate their mothers (and other women in their lives) and if their mother is breastfeeding, well, breastfeeding the baby dolls is the right step. Right? We’re trying to paint breastfeeding as the “normal” act that it is- because it is, ah, normal.

So carry on with your mini-moby wrap wearing, pretend breastfeeding ways girls- you are the future. Hopefully when it’s your turn, you won’t have to deal with the same hang-ups we do now.

* Just don’t waste your money on *this* doll- all babies gotta eat, right?

This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life With Levi, Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself. We have a new topic each week- this week is Breastfeeding Dolls. Link your post up- we know you have an opinion on this one 🙂

8 Comments on “Breastfeed Your Doll…”

1. 1 motherwifeteacher said at 7:15 am on September 15th, 2011:

I wouldn't spend the money on a special doll. I can remember being little and "nursing" my stuffed animals and dolls. The only upsetting thing about this doll for the is the reaction the general public has had to it, like encouraging girls to pretend to nurse is somehow inappropriate or wrong. Matter of fact, my little brother used to pretend to nurse his stuffed animals, too.

2. 2 Sisters 'N Cloth said at 2:46 pm on September 15th, 2011:

I completely agree. I fail to see what the big deal is with this doll. I don't care for it, just because I don't care for dolls that "do" things – even say momma or cry. But if that's not a hang up for you, I don't see why a doll that *gasp* breastfeeds is so debate worthy. ~Melissa

3. 3 lilburghers said at 6:22 pm on September 15th, 2011:

The imaginative play is amazing…and I really hope, like you, that the Mamas of the future won't have the hangups we do. I am thankful we don't have the hangups my mother and even grandmother had breastfeeding, but it doesn't make it any easier. 🙂

4. 4 lifewithlevi said at 10:28 pm on September 15th, 2011:

I agree – it's super expensive. But it's still kind of a neat idea.

5. 5 Elizabeth said at 9:31 am on September 16th, 2011:

This doll cracks me up! It's amazing how a little piece of plastic and rubber formed into the shape of a baby doll can cause SUCH an uproar. If you don't like the concept, don't buy it for your child. Why on earth does it matter what other parents buy for their child? I personally think dolls that pee are a lot grosser than dolls that imitate natural feeding 😛

6. 6 Darcy said at 8:03 pm on September 22nd, 2011:

I'm fine with the doll. . .but I think the "nursing bra" that comes with it is a little creepy.

7. 7 Mrs. Smitty said at 12:29 pm on January 27th, 2012:

If people want to spend money on the doll, they have every right to spend it. Personally, I love that my 3yo nurses her dolls, stuffed animals and puppets without the doll being labeled. Because it's a natural imaginative play concept that doesn't need designating. And I don't want to spend the money lol.
    My recent post Wordless Wed: The Difference: painting at 8 mo and 3 years

8. 8 Beth said at 10:28 pm on January 31st, 2012:

I wish the doll wasn't so expensive actually. I am not sure why they have to make it so expensive. I think it is a good thing to encourage little girls to do. I agree that you don't necessarily need a doll designated as the nursing doll. My niece who I watched does it with her doll and her mother encourages it 🙂