It Was Like Magic

Posted: September 29th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Blog Hop, Weaning | 7 Comments »

Judah loved to nurse at night.  LOVED IT.

Pretty much more than anything else in the whole world.  Well, considering his world is pretty small, I suppose that’s not *that* big of a deal, but seriously- all. night. long.  After Judah was born we started co-sleeping and it was like magic.  He was always right there, he’d root around and latch on and no one really woke all the way up.

I was never fully asleep- in that way that you are constantly aware of every inch of your body and what is touching it and who is moving and who is thinking about moving.  But I definitely wasn’t awake like I was with the boys.  Two boys who didn’t sleep through the night for 14 months.  Those were some really difficult months.  Not a lot of sleep to be had by anyone in our house and we all suffered.

Looking back, I would have loved to have the set-up we did with Judah- everyone sleeping and eating all at the same time.  I was in no hurry for Judah to sleep through the night because nights were just so easy.  (Until he started roaming around, but that’s a different story!)

It was no surprise to me that those night time sessions with Judah were the last to go away.  We let him choose his own path when if came to weaning and he was much to busy to nurse during the day so as we neared a year we only had the late night and the early morning.  It worked for us.

I know that co-sleeping is not for everyone, but I think it’s worth looking into if you are interested.

This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life with Levi, Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself.  The hop runs every Thursday and Friday with a new topic each week.  This weeks topic is Night Weaning.  Link up and show some support!

7 Comments on “It Was Like Magic”

1. 1 Jo said at 5:01 am on September 29th, 2011:

The longest nights are the ones where we try to get Miss Harper to even sleep in the cosleeper NEXT to our bed. She needs to be nestled in with us. The end.

2. 2 erinclot said at 6:55 am on September 29th, 2011:

Yep- that move away from my body was always tricky. He liked to sleep on my arm, it was like being in a baby trap. No way to move without waking him up!

3. 3 motherwifeteacher said at 9:41 pm on September 29th, 2011:

Since we lost our first, co-sleeping wasn't something I was willing to even attempt with Grant. I was way too paranoid; I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have slept at all if I'd tried it. With this one, I probably still won't co-sleep, but you bet I'm going to let myself doze a little during those nighttime feedings! I'll just put her back in the bassinet next to me when she's done. We'll transition her to her own room once she's down to waking a few times a night instead of every few hours, since the master is downstairs and the other bedrooms are upstairs in this house.

4. 4 Krystal M said at 8:47 pm on January 27th, 2012:

I love cosleeping! the night feedings were the easiest, my son never woke up all the way so he would eat then go right back to sleep and I would roll over and go back to sleep right away… I never PLANNED on cosleeping before he was born, it just was right for us, it worked (still does…) As soon as he started crawling then walking he was just to busy during the day to eat all the time, so only nursed for naps and bedtime for MONTHS. He ended up self-weaning at 15mos. Not sure if it was because I was 12wk pregnant and the milk tasted different, or he just started sleeping through the night. Either way I am happy it didnt have to be forced on him. Will most likely do the same with #2, if that is what 'feels' right.

5. 5 Beth R said at 2:05 am on January 28th, 2012:

I get so nervous when we co slept that it was better for all of us just to go ahead and put him next to use in the bassinet. We did co sleep here and there, but I never slept very well. I wish I could because I love that extra snuggle time and it does make things so much easier

6. 6 Amanda J. said at 12:21 pm on January 30th, 2012:

I'm SOOOO glad I read this! I co-sleep with my 10 month old, and I'm torn between crib-training now before he can get out of said crib, or just enjoying the time with my little bug. (And then catching up with my hubby later? haha)
    My recent post Retro-fit Birth Story

7. 7 Becky Worthman said at 10:51 am on February 8th, 2012:

Where is the best place to learn about co-sleeping, and also weaning?