I’m Over Here

Posted: October 17th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Autism | Tags: Autism, Guest Post | 7 Comments »

A few weeks ago, Jenn at Crippled Girl asked me to write a guest post about Autism.  She is showcasing guest posts about all different disabilities during the month of October.

I’ve written a lot about our boys diagnosis and our struggles and wins since then, I wasn’t sure what I was going to write about.  She suggested I write about First Impressions.

This was a perfect, on the surface, my kids look just like any other toddlers.  You have to dig a little deeper (alright, you just need to skim the surface) before you notice somehting is different.

I’d love if you’d take a look at my post over at Jenn’s!

7 Comments on “I’m Over Here”

1. 1 Jenn said at 1:16 pm on October 17th, 2011:

Thanks again for sharing such a great post with my readers, Erin!!!
    My recent post Normal on the Surface (Autism)

2. 2 erinclot said at 6:33 pm on October 19th, 2011:

Thank you for asking me!

3. 3 kate said at 12:35 pm on October 19th, 2011:

Cool. Thanks for posting that Erin! I always wonder what a day with them is like. Of course I know they have autism and you have all sorts of things to deal with because of that, but I guess because I only see pictures I only ever get that first impression so it doesn't really sink in that they *actually* have a disability.

4. 4 erinclot said at 6:39 pm on October 19th, 2011:

Considering 1 in 110 kids will get diagnosed, it's kind of crazy how little people know about autism. I watch videos of the other SB's and I just can't believe that I'm actually watching almost 3 year olds! I have no idea what to expect from Judah because my the boys still function at the level of a 12-18 month old. There is so much that a picture cannot tell.

5. 5 steph said at 1:14 pm on October 28th, 2011:

hey, fyi- i teach art to kids with autism! been doing it for like 14 or so years…before most people had even heard of autism…. I will be following your autism posts and if you ever have any art questions…feel free to ask…
    My recent post Mega Swagbucks day + 5 for 5 promo

6. 6 erinclot said at 1:20 pm on October 28th, 2011:

I think right now our biggest problem is getting the not *eat* the art supplies! They are very orally motivated.

7. 7 Cletus said at 4:17 am on November 27th, 2011:

Than you for your site and posts.True the average person does not know anything about Autism and what it is.My son was diagonised at 3 because his speech was taking ages to develop .It is called Autistic spectrum disorder ranging from the mildly to the extreme autistic.My son is on the mild side but generally i understand what you go through everyday fromm diaper training to stopping them from doing the same thing over and over.Its training for the child as much as it is for the parent.We all learn and i know i am going to learn something from you in this respect.
    My recent post Hello Surfers