Laundry and Dishes and Crashes: Oh my!

Posted: October 27th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding | Tags: Breastfeeding | 8 Comments »

The world stopped so I could nurse Judah.

Seriously. I sat in my chair and we nursed. We obviously ate because we are all still alive and well. the house did not fall down around us because it was such a mess. I can thank my awesome husband for that.

I have a great ability to ignore things I know I cannot get to. I hold on to guilt about a lot of things, I refuse to feel bad about my messy house or piled up laundry when I have more important things to do- like breastfeed my infant.

Sure, there were days where I would hear crashes coming from the general vicinity of the computer room and I would hear the boys get really silent and know they were up to no good. But, I was nursing.

Messes can be cleaned. Laundry can be folded later. Little boys will get into trouble no matter what.

I read this the other day and thought it fit nicely here. The last stanza is my favorite.

Mother, O’ Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

… Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek – peekaboo.

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew,
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo.
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

This post is part of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life with Levi, Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself each Thursday and Friday.  This weeks topic is: Nursing with older children at home.  Link up!

8 Comments on “Laundry and Dishes and Crashes: Oh my!”

1. 1 Ashlee - DiaperCo said at 7:27 pm on October 27th, 2011:

Love that poem. It's the same situation with nursing my little Maria – I can my hear 4 year old clanking and splashing around in the bathroom, and I KNOW she is making a "smoothie" in the sink with her play dishes, handsoap, and our toothpaste. AGAIN. But Maria is slowly falling asleep in my arms and is so snuggly and warm that if I can juuuuust finish nursing, I don't mind cleaning up the mess.

2. 2 erinclot said at 8:36 pm on October 27th, 2011:

I've really learned to let go as a mom. Kids will be kids, I can clean up later, but I can't *make* my 3-year-olds sit down and cuddle with me!

3. 3 clot77 said at 5:23 am on October 28th, 2011:

I love this. Especially the part about the crash and then the quiet. I don't worry more when the boys are quiet than when they are screaming:)

4. 4 Ella said at 5:50 am on October 28th, 2011:

When my youngest was a baby I remember recalling that poem often! It's a beautiful verse and all so very true.

I loved your line 'Little boys will get into trouble no matter what'. As a mom of four boys I can definitely agree 🙂
    My recent post Dealing with clutter: decluttering, home organization, storage solutions and tips

5. 5 erinclot said at 8:01 am on October 28th, 2011:

I really like it. It sums things up perfectly for this stage of life I think. I had heard it many times over the years- especially the last part and then when someone posted it on a forum the other day it kind of brought tears to my eyes. It's just perfect!

6. 6 Sisters 'N Cloth said at 8:12 am on October 28th, 2011:

I've always loved that poem, even before I became a mom. I guess it's no surprise that it still makes me tear up, and that my house is often "so shocking." There is nothing like the feeling of cuddling my babies while they nurse or sleep (or both!). ~Melissa
    My recent post Confessions of the Pocket-Challenged

7. 7 erinclot said at 8:28 am on October 28th, 2011:

That stage is so fleeting. Every time I hold a newborn I am overcome with this sense that I totally forgot how little they are. Even when Judah was born and outweighed his brothers by 3 pounds I couldn't believe he was so small. I need to make something to remember- maybe fill a little bag with rice or something with each of their weights at birth to throw in their Baby Box.

8. 8 CeeJay said at 9:35 am on October 28th, 2011:

I've only heard the last stanza of that poem before! I enjoyed reading the entire thing. So very, very true!
    My recent post BBH: Bigs Versus Littles