truyen ma
How to Get Rid of the Halloween Candy! | The Slacker Mom

Post-Halloween Brownies

by Erin Clotfelter on 11/04/2011

Alternately Titled: What I do with all the Chocolate Candy

(Ooops. I was going to wake some pretty pics but apparently we ate them!)

A few years ago we started a tradition of chopping up all the chocolate candy we acquired during Halloween and dumping it into a batch of brownies. I love candy. I will continue to go back to the bowl over and over and over again until it’s gone. I’d rather just get everything out of the house as soon as possible and stop the constant trips to the candy bowl.

Yogi Dad isn’t the frequent candy sneaker like I am, but he will eat baked goods. I figure even though these are brownies, this way, I’m not eating all of it myself!

I start with a box of brownie mix. It doesn’t need to be fancy or frosted or have any special mix-ins because you will be adding those from your Halloween stash.

Then, I choose what chocolate is going in. Last year I had so much that I broke it up into themes: M&M’s, peanut butter candies, things with caramel. This year I just threw it all in together. I had 15 mini bars and bags of M&M’s. I keep out things like Kit-Kats, Butterfingers and Twix because I’m not sure how they’d work. Anything mint never makes it this far!

Next, chop up your candy. I like big chunks!

Mix up your brownie mix according to the package directions and stir in the candy.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake as directed on the box. It seems to take a bit longer, so keep an eye on them and adjust accordingly.

When they come out of the oven do not be twmpted to dig in with a fork- there is molton caramel and nuget bubbling under the surface. Let these babies cool all the way down.

Once cool.. Enjoy. I know someone who makes a pan and serves them as a super decadent dinner- seriously, everyone get a fork and get this over with! I’m pretty sure if I went that route the boys would expect that every night! I’ll stick to cutting them up

I’ve also done this by adding the chocolate candy to a basic Chocolate Chip Bar recipe. Last year we had so much I ended up making 2-3 batches to get rid of anything. Of course you can add as much or as little as you want!

Thankfully my sweet tooth doesn’t extend as willingly to the sweet/ tart/ sour candies. The boys will get some of it (Skittles can be a great motivator!) but a lot of it ends up getting dumped.

How do you get rid of the Halloween candy in your house?

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 kate November 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Oh good god. If I had three kids on Halloween I'd be so screwed. I felt like I had a kiddie pool full of candy with just one trick-or-treater, and I had to send most of it to work with Joe beause I couldn't stop diving in on the first night. These brownies sound delicious but I can never EVER make them because I WILL eat the whole pan in two days.
My recent post Ways to Die at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore

2 erinclot November 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That's totally the point- get rid of it in one shot ;) We didn't get much this year compared to last year actually. My mom lives in the country and everyone stuffs handfuls into your buckets because they don't get hardly any kids and here it was like "Hey- have a Tootsie Roll!". Much less to deal with this year. And honestly, the pan is half gone already and I just made it before lunch- John is home and sneaking bites every time he goes into the kitchen, you know, because you have to even up the row!

3 Salt in Suburbia November 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Well there’s a hospital that buys Halloween from kids for a dollar a pound the day after Halloween and then sends it to the troops overseas, but I missed that, so there’s always the “sugar fairy” or “sugar witch.”. You leave her your bag of candy and write a note asking for a book or DVD in exchange. On the morning you find your book or DVD. Then you (the sugar fairy) takes the candy to work and have your co-workers eat it
Salt in Suburbia recently posted..Twin PowerMy Profile
Salt in Suburbia recently posted..Twin PowerMy Profile

4 erinclot November 4, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Oooh- maybe the Sugar Fairy needs to come and replace what's left with some books and send that candy overseas!

5 motherwifeteacher November 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

I usually take it to work and leave it in the lounge, but this year I think I'll take it with us to the hospital and give it to our nurse to stick at the nurse's station. I am not above bribery!

6 Beki November 5, 2011 at 8:32 am

Here's what I did with some of the candy yesterday. I even managed to not eat any before they left the house bound for work and the grandparents' house. I was proud of myself. (I won't talk about what I "sampled" while I baked, though.) http://bekicookscakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/le
B
My recent post Leftover Halloween Candy Cupcakes

7 erinclot November 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Beki- those look amazing. Everyone should check out your post with it's beautiful pictures and nice clear recipe…you are the Ultimate Cake Girl!

8 stromverbrauch November 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ’103610656 which is not a hashcash value.

9 Lucien Demartini January 3, 2012 at 12:58 pm

thanks for your thoughts on this, I felt a bit struck by this article. Thanks again!