I Get a Little Jumpy

Posted: December 1st, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding Blog Hop | Tags: Breastfeeding, criticism | 7 Comments »

I think most people agree- it’s difficult to take criticism. I think it’s even more difficult to take when it has to do with something as emotionally charged as breastfeeding.

I feel strongly about many things pertaining to breastfeeding, Nursing in Public, Low Supply issues and Supplementing are probably tops on the list. I’m not always the most :ahem: gracious person when it comes to my views on breastfeeding. I figure I’ve had to fight hard for every ounce pumped, every minute latched, I’m not going to let someone tell me I’m doing it wrong. I’m definitely not going to let them tell me I didn’t try hard enough.

I also don’t like to see another nursing mother being told she is doing it wrong, she should do it in the bathroom, she doesn’t actually have low supply issues, she should stop breastfeeding because her child is too old or that she isn’t making an informed choice if she chooses to use formula.

Breastfeeding, although an intensely emotional thing, is above all about feeding a child. It is every woman’s right to do it (or not do it) wherever and whenever she wants.

I’m trying to let criticism regarding breastfeeding roll off my back. But I find it very difficult.

This weeks Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Life with Levi, Diary of a Devil Dog Wife and myself asks: How do you handle criticism? Leave an answer in the comments, tell me your best tips. Link up your own post and spread the love! The linky is open Thursday and Friday of this week.

7 Comments on “I Get a Little Jumpy”

1. 1 Gaby @ Tmuffin said at 1:37 pm on December 1st, 2011:

It IS hard to let criticism about breastfeeding roll off your back. It is so emotional, and such a personal, intimate thing. I'm the same way. I get very defensive when the subject of breastfeeding rolls around. I'm trying to be more calm about how I react to people who have a negative reaction to breastfeeding, but I definitely have to work at it.
    My recent post When I Say "Feed Your Baby," Do You See a Bottle?

2. 2 Jacqui said at 5:39 pm on December 1st, 2011:

Those comments really stick with you, i think having the support to build your confidence back up is key to getting past the hurt. Most of the comments I receive are about extended nursing….sigh

3. 3 Mary Jobe said at 7:24 pm on December 1st, 2011:

I think a lot of the criticism comes from popular culture. It's often made fun of in movies and on tv. In addition it has a lot to do with the prudish nature of many Americans and the desire of many older women to get involved and pass on their knowledge and guidance.
    My recent post CNA Classes in La Mesa, CA

4. 4 lifewithlevi said at 11:28 pm on December 4th, 2011:

I'm with you on this one. I remember my first post about nursing in public and how my views were changed once I started to see it more. It's totally mom's choice to do what works for her and her baby. I think if more people minded their own business, we'd see a lot more breastfeeding and it would be normalized.
    My recent post Handling Breastfeeding Criticism

5. 5 Tim said at 12:47 am on December 5th, 2011:

I hope you all get well

6. 6 mindee butcher said at 6:03 pm on January 4th, 2012:

im very outspoken so those comments that others jst let slide i say something.for example we went to a new church baby, cover, pillow in tow and 8 diffrent members said we have a room to nurse the baby in! uggg it should have been phrased differently like if you would like we have a room you can nurse in. each time i smiled and said thanks we got it covered we dont need to hide out to nurse

7. 7 JenniferC said at 1:49 am on January 13th, 2012:

So far I have been lucky; almost everyone has been supportive or ignored my breast feeding. The criticism I have seen are mostly responses to articles about women breastfeeding in public online. Reading those comments really annoys me.