Sick Kiddo

Posted: December 4th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Parenting | Tags: Cold and Flu season, Sick kids | 10 Comments »

We’ve been very fortunate in that we’ve only had a handful of visits to the pediatrician that weren’t for well visits, we’ve never had an ear infection between the three boys and we’ve only had two episodes of vomiting. Total.

Until today.

It’s like puke-fest 2011 over here.

Poor Wyatt has been throwing up since about 6:30 this morning. I don’t think I’ve washed so many loads of laundry in such a short period of time. We’ve had to try and salvage a blanket (Lincoln and Wyatt have the same lovey) to make sure they are both not being washed or dried at the same time. That’s tricky stuff there.

To top it off- everyone has been playing musical sippy cups today. I’m not sure what is causing this- everyone ate the same things yesterday and no one else is sick, so I don’t think it’s that. If it’s some sort of virus I’m sure everyone will have it by tomorrow.

I’m looking forward to that.

As I sat cuddling my Wy on the couch, I kept thinking about how unprepared we were for this. We had bananas and toast and Pedialyte packets of course, but I had no idea what I should be doing. Quarantine? Remove all things from the room he is in to reduce the number of things in his wake? Throw towels over everything? So far everything is washable and I do have a Little Green Clean Machine, so that should help with anything else I guess.   How do i have 3 kids and not know what to do when a stomach bug hits?

Oddly, I’m well versed in throwing up. Today kind of reminded me of most days for me while pregnant. Minus the frequent clothing changes. Poor Wyatt has no idea what is going on and he kind of freaks out for a minute, trying to wipe everything off of himself frantically as we tried to clean him up. It makes it a lot easier to cuddle someone who smells like digested bananas when they are that cute and helpless.

I’m crossing my fingers it’s gone by tomorrow. He was begging for a little milk before bed tonight and we gave in after about 30 minutes. We’ll see how that goes.

What are your tips for dealing with a sick kid? I think we’ve got the BRAT diet covered.

• No Related Posts

10 Comments on “Sick Kiddo”

1. 1 Lindsey P said at 9:42 pm on December 4th, 2011:

I always made sure to give my kids baths after throwing up episodes… Made them smell better, and I always told them we were washing the germs off. It definitely made it easier to cuddle!!
    My recent post Family Fun for all!! Skylanders!!

2. 2 erinclot said at 8:46 am on December 5th, 2011:

We did give Wyatt a bath yesterday but he's in a bit of a phase where he hates the water right now and he screamed the entire time. I don't doubt that this will help Lincoln though, he loves bath-time. I'd much rather everyone smell like "coconut monkey" soap!

3. 3 Mandie said at 10:13 pm on December 4th, 2011:

I agree with Lindsey…baths are a must. It always makes me feel better and I think them too. Also, when D has had a stomach virus I have a special bowl I use for him to throw up in. It's just a big tupperware container and I try to throw it in the path of the vomit as soon as I see it coming. And I set up camp with towels, sheets, etc on the couch so that I can still do what I need to do and keep an eye on him too. D won't do pedialyte so I do gatorade or sprite…anything to keep him hydrated and crackers are all that I will let him eat while he's currently throwing up. Yay for making it 3 years without a virus!! I hope the other boys stay well for you!
    My recent post Babies and Sleep

4. 4 erinclot said at 8:49 am on December 5th, 2011:

We've had plenty of coughs and colds- it's been the year of the runny nose around here, unfortunately. This is a different ballgame. I did try a bowl yesterday but Judah turned it into a weapon :/ maybe I need a l different bowl. Or Judah needs to go on lock-down! John picked up some Gatorade this morning. Wyatt is reluctantly drinking his "purple juice".

5. 5 Mandie said at 10:14 pm on December 4th, 2011:

Oh! One more thing. Buy a new toothbrush, matter of fact pick up a few… you definitely don't want to keep using the same one after a virus.
    My recent post Babies and Sleep

6. 6 erinclot said at 8:47 am on December 5th, 2011:

Good call on the toothbrush!

7. 7 Salt in Suburbia said at 11:22 pm on December 4th, 2011:

My Anna had a flu bug yesterday too! We have a “barf bucket” too that we keep next to a sick kid at all times, But honestly, I remember it didn’t really work too well with the under-four crowd. My twins had roto-virus at the sometime when they were 15 months and that is projectile vomiting and very weird smelling poop for FIVE days. Hope it’s a short-lived bug!
    Salt in Suburbia recently posted..Good-bye, Love YouMy Profile

8. 8 erinclot said at 8:58 am on December 5th, 2011:

It seems like it's short lived so far. We just have to work through everyone now. Judah is next! I hope Anna is feeling better today.

9. 9 themamabeth said at 12:45 am on December 5th, 2011:

Poor Wyatt. I hope everyone else manages to avoid it. I have this bookmarked http://swistle.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-to-feed-… since I'm sure a day will come when I need it.
    My recent post The Elf

10. 10 erinclot said at 8:58 am on December 5th, 2011:

Thanks for that, I will check that out.