How to Autism Proof {Grandma’s House Edition}

Posted: December 30th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Autism | Tags: Autism proofing, Travel | 11 Comments »

When we arrived here a week and a half ago, my In-law’s house was sparkling clean and beautifully decorated.  (Not overly so as my MIL had read that too many decorations might easily overwhelm their senses.)  There were toys collected for the boys to enjoy while they were visiting.  A bedroom made up with Thomas the Train bedding.

Everything was perfectly festive and inviting.

Until the boys actually stepped foot into each room.

Within days of our arrival:

The couch was pulled away from the wall so they wouldn’t climb through the cut-outs in the wall and escape into the rest of the house.

A glass topped coffee table was removed to the garage.  A fancy sitting chair that proved to be quite bouncy soon followed.  Then a torch style lamp that they thought was the perfect thing to knock over (after being carefully glued back together) was moved outside.  (Along with anything else that was easily destroyed.)

A cabinet with glass doors was turned to face the wall.

The doors on the entertainment center were tied shut.

Things started to migrate north.

A small trunk with a lid that made a most satisfying crash was tied shut and pushed to stratigically cover a floor vent that Judah found and started pulling out.

I am kicking myself for not bringing the trampoline.

Baby gates were borrowed from neighbors and each day we get a *little* closer to having a room that is completely free of things the boys can break or ruin in their quest to satisfy their sensory needs: jumping and crashing.

There is a reason our living room at home consists of a couch, a chair, a TV on a low table and a trampoline.

Thank you Grandma and Grandpa C for rolling with the punches (and the crashes and jumping and screaming and whining…)!  I hope the smiles and giggles and calls for “Super Delicious Chocolate Milk” are the things that stick in your memory the most from our visit.

11 Comments on “How to Autism Proof {Grandma’s House Edition}”

1. 1 Tina said at 9:45 am on December 30th, 2011:

It sounds like you and MIL need a vacation from your vacation! Also sounds like a big lesson for family on what you deal with on a daily basis. Love how you wrote the article!
    My recent post Book Review: The Encounter by Stephen Arterburn

2. 2 Jessica said at 9:52 am on December 30th, 2011:

I agree with Tina, I love love love this post!! It's amazing how kids change how you use a house 😉

3. 3 Beth R said at 12:35 pm on January 4th, 2012:

That is how it is when we visit the grandparents too! It is amazing how much you adapt and don't even realize until you go somewhere else 🙂

4. 4 mindee butcher said at 5:11 pm on January 4th, 2012:

i think thats great that your family is so willing to work with you guys on there needs!

5. 5 Rachel N said at 5:02 pm on January 5th, 2012:

Oh my, people always think that there is not much that my son can get into in their house but a toddler's mind is an amazing thing and they will zero in on the few items that would be wonderful to play with but are really not child proof!

6. 6 Nathania said at 1:12 am on January 6th, 2012:

Never thought about turning glass cabinets around! great idea! 🙂

7. 7 Sarah said at 10:05 pm on January 7th, 2012:

Stumbled! I remember my sister and I always used to abuse my grandma's couch and furniture so bad. Using grandma's couch as a trampoline was fun, especially when she was not in the room! 🙂
    My recent post Vistaprint Groupon Deal: $17 for $70 Purchase

8. 8 amy v said at 2:28 pm on January 23rd, 2012:

wow- i didn't realize all the work you and others have to go through! what great family you have-ahh yes, toddlers will find anything and everything to get in to…. 🙂

annae07 at aol dot com

9. 9 Becky Worthman said at 10:29 am on January 25th, 2012:

I love the systematic removal of the destructable items…you have to wait until each is discovered until you realize it's full potential that your boys are so quick to find!

10. 10 Amanda J. said at 8:18 am on January 30th, 2012:

I LOVED the picture essay! It is something that rings true for every mom of boy(s). It was almost comical watching my mom run around and say "oh no not that" "don't touch that baby" "here let grandma put that up"……when we first visited after Liam became *mobile* — I gave her a 4 day warning about babyproofing. But, until the environment is tested, they have no idea!
    My recent post Spoiled?

11. 11 Saba Gull said at 8:47 am on December 16th, 2012:

Fantastic and interesting which we talk about with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the projects. I am tiring the same best execute from me later on as well. site