I should be doing the dishes but I am not…

Posted: January 10th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Stream of Consciousness | Tags: Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapers, parenting | 17 Comments »

The boys are back at school, Judah is down for a nap and I have 1 hour to get something done around here before the bus arrives and instead I am basking in the glow of not having little hands and feet and faces all around me. Not that I don’t love staying at home with my kids and not that I don’t love them with every ounce of my being (even the naughty things make me smile most days) but man- it was a LONG 3 weeks with them not in school. I needed a break. And sleeping in doesn’t count as a break. I mean a break with no kids around me so I don’t have to think about them and their needs for a moment kind of a break.

Cloth diapers. I have a confession to make…I don’t always cloth diaper at night. I know, I know- I’m a bad cloth diaper review blogger for admitting that, but it’s true. You know that argument that if you give a breastfeeding mom cans of formula in the hospital she’ll break down and be forced to feed her child formula simply because it’s in her midst even though she really doesn’t want to and thinks it’s poison etc. etc.? (Note to breastfeeding moms who think formula is poison- leave the cans at the hospital!) Well, replace the cans of formula with disposable diapers and this is me. The boys wear disposables to school so we always have them around and on more nights than I am willing to admit, we reach for those. And it’s not because we don’t have a good nighttime solution- we do! A Flip cover and 2 CottonBabies infant sized pre-folds stuffed into a Bum Genius sock (and they say I’m not a “real” CottonBabies customer…pfffft) and we have a pretty big but bullet-proof nighttime diaper. It’s just, well, after a day of cloth diapering 3 kids that are heavy wetters…disposables at night are easier. (Which is much more apparent as I work my way through all of the different diapers to review.) Also, while I’m at it, no matter how hard I try, I do not like to use cloth wipes. Sorry. Glad I got that off my chest.

Speaking of cloth diapers. I am drowning in them! Because, you know, THIS.

Working with so many new to me diapers and the lovely and talented Lori and Jen has made me dig in my heels and want to shop for cloth like I haven’t wanted to shop for cloth in awhile. I bought my first wool yesterday (and it was custom made!).

my first wool!

And my first wool wash and lanolin. And maybe a small wetbag because it was on sale and who can’t use another wetbag and I just needed to get my total up to $15 so I could get a FREE Changing Diapers book…and then I broke down and bought the Chunky Monkey Best Bottoms AI2 diaper that I had been drooling over. Then I went to bed.

So, I should probably get back to those dishes then.

17 Comments on “I should be doing the dishes but I am not…”

1. 1 nina mackrain said at 11:51 am on January 10th, 2012:

You are going to LOVE the best bottoms! I was in heaven when I first got mine! I have a heavy wetter, so I caution you, you may need to use the overnight inserts with your little ones.

2. 2 nina mackrain said at 12:03 pm on January 10th, 2012:

oooh….and overnight? These are AWESOME. The first time I had my (almost 2yr old) baby try these overnight I gave him 3 sippy cups right before bed, I wanted to see how they held and I was shocked. I went to go change him in the morning and I had to carry the diaper over to the toilet to empty it, he'd peed so much that it had completely soaked the diaper and there was a puddle in the bottom of the cover and it never leaked onto the front! His pj's where completely dry.

3. 3 erinclot said at 12:18 pm on January 10th, 2012:

That is awesome. I am really looking forward to trying these now!

4. 4 regan said at 1:13 pm on January 10th, 2012:

Haha! I only need some more CJ's but how could I place an order just $6 short of a free book? So I bought an Sbish snapless fitted LOL. It really is a sickness.

That's a gorgeous cover. I'm still afraid of wool but I know I'll break down sooner rather than later

5. 5 nina mackrain said at 1:50 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I love wool for overnight, you don't get that nasty ammonia smell. It's great for diaper rashes too, stick you little one in a wool cover overnight and it's usually gone by the morning πŸ™‚

6. 6 Beth R said at 3:32 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I have been cloth diapering for over 3 years and honestly wool intimidates me. I haven't tried it and honestly have no idea where to start with it. So any tips for a new wool user?

7. 7 erinclot said at 9:49 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I'm a new wool user too- I was told to start with something "upcycled" and then work my way to knit once I am comfortable with the whole wool process. I was pointed to an etsy seller that has really reasonable custom soakers and longies: myecobaby I'm looking forward to learning about a whole new part of cloth diapering!

8. 8 Rachel N said at 4:23 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I should be sweeping the floor right now but I'm not:) My boys are both finally napping and mommy needs a little me time. Don't feel guilty about it, we all do it.

9. 9 erinclot said at 9:49 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I hope you enjoyed your break πŸ™‚

10. 10 Rebecca said at 5:25 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I should be working on a gard class, but reading about diapers and entering contests is much more interesting,

11. 11 erinclot said at 9:50 pm on January 10th, 2012:

I'm so distracted by cute diapers right now I'm having a hard time concentrating on the ones I'm supposed to be reviewing!

12. 12 Suzanne~Natureduo said at 11:06 pm on January 10th, 2012:

Aw, come on I love cloth wipes! Maybe I wouldn't like them so much if I had more than one baby. I still haven't found a good overnight solution so we use disposables too. So glad that I'm not the only one!!!! My trouble is he sleeps good at night (6+hrs) if he doesn't have a DRY diaper he won't stay that way. Anyway, more of that here: http://natureduo.com/the-boy-his-fluffy-bum/

I LOVE reading your reviews!
    My recent post Away From These 4 Walls

13. 13 Melinda Ciaccia said at 4:02 pm on January 11th, 2012:

I should be doing dishes too…or cleaning. Or doing anything but sitting on the computer!
    My recent post Dear Baby Donna Creations Review!

14. 14 Mrs. Smitty said at 7:47 pm on January 11th, 2012:

I understand. Sometimes it's better for you to relax and put something like dishes off for an hour to get some "me" time, even if it means cruising online while kiddos nap. It keeps me sane to do it once in awhile.
    My recent post HAPPY NEW YEAR!

15. 15 amy v said at 10:26 pm on January 11th, 2012:

i totally hear you! i'm pretty new to cloth and i don't use them at night on my baby boy- it's really intimidatung to me quite frankly!

annae07 at aol dot com

16. 16 cheap bras said at 3:03 am on February 4th, 2012:

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name Padded Bra. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts wedding party dresses and nothing beats a big audiance πŸ˜‰

17. 17 Privat Dagpleje said at 1:22 pm on March 13th, 2012:

Alt er meget Γ₯ben med en meget klar beskrivelse. Det var informativt. Din hjemmeside er meget nyttigt . Tak for deling!