Enjoy it While it Lasts!

Posted: January 12th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding Blog Hop | Tags: #Judahthetank, Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Blog Hop | 10 Comments »

This post is part of the weekly Breastfeeding Blog hop hosted by myself and Marah over at Happiness Redefined (formerly Diary of a Devil Dog Wife- update your bookmarks and subscriptions!) and Lori at The Gnome’s Mom. We’ll tackle a new topic pertaining to breastfeeding easch week so join us and link up you posts!

This week we are talking about Tips and Tricks to Breastfeeding an Older Infant or Toddler!

Now, Judah and I barely made it past his 1st Birthday and he’d been weaning himself since he could crawl, so I don’t have a lot of experience to pull from once you get past the infant stage. I think the things that were biggest for us were:

– Lose the distractions! If I was on my phone or reading a book he was not happy about it- he wanted my full attention at all times. When he was younger he didn’t notice or didn’t care. As he got older he’d let me know he was not pleased by my inattention with a well placed bite.

– If your nursling starts to get squirmy while NIP, lose the cover. Once we hit a certain age Judah wanted nothing to do with a nursing cover so we figured out how to be discreet without actually covering him up. I have read that as time goes on it gets increasingly tough to NIP, so once you hit a year, NIP may become a thing of the past and that’s OK.

– Let them decide when they want to wean. I agonized about weaning- Were we going to hit my goal of one year? How long was I prepared to go? At what point do I cut off the nighttime sessions?* I finally just made this all be up to Judah and stopped worrying about it.

– Last but not least, ENJOY this! It’s going to end at some point and you might not get a heads up. Relish these moments with your baby snuggled close.

There are quite a few moms in this hop that have nursed much longer than I have, I am interested in seeing what their tips are- I know some other hoppers are looking forward to them as well!

*we made it to a year, I was absolutely ready to be done when we finally finished and the nighttime sessions were the last to go.

10 Comments on “Enjoy it While it Lasts!”

1. 1 Beth R said at 2:32 pm on January 12th, 2012:

Thanks for some tips. I bfed my first son for 16 months before he decided to self wean and honestly he probably would have done it at 15months, but I wasn't quite ready to be done. I am currently bfing my second son and we are going strong at 7 months. We hope to continue as long he wants to as well. I noticed once my first son was a toddler we really only bfed when he woke up and before he went to bed. He was always so independent that was the only time he was calm enough to do it. I am interested to see how the second one does since he is so much more laid back

2. 2 Marah said at 3:21 pm on January 12th, 2012:

great tips! thanks for reminding me to enjoy it! πŸ™‚

3. 3 Rachel N said at 3:52 pm on January 12th, 2012:

My first son weaned at about 13 months and it was honestly super easy for both of us. I was pregnant with #2 and nursing became super painful for me so I had to wean. My son was never emotionally attatched to nursing though, he did it purely for food. I am now nursing my 7 month old and he is not too interested… it is a struggle to keep him interested. Hoping we can keep going for a few more months though.

4. 4 amy v said at 3:56 pm on January 12th, 2012:

i loved this post because my little guy will be one at the end of this month and am still nursing him. I'm letting him wean himself and was wondering how much longer….thanks for the reminder this won't last forever and to enjoy the closeness!

annae07 at aol dot com

5. 5 Mrs. Smitty said at 11:29 pm on January 12th, 2012:

Thanks for the tips! I'm 8 months in with my little nursling, with all the time she needs to go..
    My recent post HAPPY NEW YEAR!

6. 6 Jenny H said at 9:10 pm on January 13th, 2012:

My son is 19 months and we're still nursing, but your tips were still helpful. I often kill time while nursing by checking my email/facebook on my phone and he'll let me know when he doesn't like it by batting my phone away! Good thing he's never bit me! Ouch! Thanks for the reminder to just set things aside and enjoy it!
    My recent post Breastfeeding: Tips for Nursing Toddlers

7. 7 Suzanne~Natureduo said at 10:31 am on January 15th, 2012:

Thank you for this! I try very hard to remember that I might not get a say when this is over. I'm already getting pressure about when "we will wean him" he's only 6 months!!!
    My recent post Knowledge is Power- Older Baby Tips

8. 8 Clayre said at 3:24 pm on January 15th, 2012:

I love the tips, especially the worrying about weaning one. I feel I weaned my son earlier than I wanted because of pressure from friends and family. They didn't ever actually pressure me but would constantly ask what my plan for weaning was!! I think that I let nature take it's course and allowed Will to drop a few of them on his own, but I wish I wouldn't have rushed the last few feedings and just let Will decide when he was done. That said, it was never a battle to wean him, as he was so easy going, but considering he still demands a sippy cup of milk FIRST THING in the morning-like some drug or something- indicates that he may not have been ready to stop. πŸ™

9. 9 Ro Ferguson said at 10:55 pm on January 17th, 2012:

I definitely want to read more about biting, and night nursing! I'm afraid my one year old will wean if I try to reduce the night feedings but he wakes up sooo often ( 4-5 times).R

10. 10 Janel B said at 12:34 pm on January 20th, 2012:

I thought my 3.5 yr old was our last baby the whole 21-22 months we nursed, so we got through the rough patches by me remembering to cherish those precious moments. I'm so glad we didn't know about little #3 at the time, because I have so many more memories of snuggling with my baby girl this way… I wanted those memories to stick and they did! Very much looking forward to the arrival of #3 in 6ish weeks and snuggling with my last baby all over again. πŸ˜‰