All. Night. Long.

Posted: January 19th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Blog Hop | Tags: Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Blog Hop, Breastfeeding resources | 13 Comments »

Welcome back to the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Marah at Happiness Redefined, Lori at The Gnome’s Mom and myself, The Slacker Mom! This week we are talking about Reverse Cycling. If you aren’t sure what Reverse Cycling is, read on! As always, link up your relevant posts and be sure to share your wisdom with the other hoppers.

I had actually never heard the term “reverse cycling” before. In an effort to keep this fresh and cover lots of ground I sometimes have to push myself and dive into topics I am not familiar with. That was certainly not the case when I discovered what reverse cycling is- one look at Kellymom and I was pretty sure I could have written a book on this subject as soon as Judah turned mobile.

Judah was a very distractable baby starting around 5 or 6 months (i had to give up Twitter during nursing!) and culminating the day he crawled off my lap and toddled across the floor to play with his brothers around 8 months. That was pretty much the end of daytime nursing for us. Sure, I could get a few minutes here and there, but it was nothing compared to the 30-45 minutes marathons he had up to that point and he definitely made up for it at night.

He had places to go! People to see!

But at night, he was back to being attentive and focused on nursing. Because we co-slept/ bed-shared he was never very far from what he wanted, but after nursing all night every night for months, I was starting to get to the point where I just wanted to sleep on my back again. I was ready to start pulling back a bit, I certainly wasn’t ready to rev up our nighttime feedings! But, that’s what happened. In the grand scheme of things, I was willing to do what we had to do to keep it going.

For us it wasn’t all bad- I slept better nursing Judah all night than i ever did getting up with the twins, I think my husband and I both agree that it was a smart move bringing him into bed with us. Even for parents who are not down with co-sleeping, there can be pros to reverse cycling- if you don’t want to pump as much during the day while you are at work and you don’t mind feeding more at night it might be perfect for you! I would have loved to have been able to ditch the pumping at work!

Have you ever heard the term reverse cycling? Do you have any experience with it?

13 Comments on “All. Night. Long.”

1. 1 Salt in Suburbia said at 3:36 am on January 19th, 2012:

I can’t say I have heard this term before, but I definitely lived it with my daughter (also born after my twins, just like your situation). She got almost all her milk in the morning, after work, and at night after she was about 10 months old (and I was back at work). She never had a bottle. Only breast feeding and a cup. Sometimes she nursed practically all night long. Crazy!
    Salt in Suburbia recently posted..Kindness and Twin SecretsMy Profile

2. 2 Rachel N said at 1:06 pm on January 19th, 2012:

I luckily have never experienced this. We don't co-sleep though so that may be a factor. I also can usually get in at least 2 good feeds with my 7 month old before nap and night. That would be hard to handle.

3. 3 Beth R said at 2:45 pm on January 19th, 2012:

Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of it but it makes complete sense. I am not sure how you function though during the day nursing all night though 🙂 I luckily am able to nurse throughout the day for about 15-20 mins a time depending how distracted he is (almost 8month), but I am sure those days are coming to end. Especially when you have older siblings. I don't remember my first being so distracted but I guess he also didn't have another person running around while he was eating 🙂

4. 4 regan said at 4:20 pm on January 19th, 2012:

I've never heard of this, but my 14½ month old nursling might be doing this. He still nurses during the day, but only for a few minutes and then to go down for a nap. Even at night, he doesn't nurse for long but he's still waking up 2-3 times a night and if he even so much as sees my husband come in his room instead of me, he freaks out!

5. 5 amy v said at 5:21 pm on January 19th, 2012:

i never heard of this but this definitely sounds like my little guy- he will be 12 months on sunday and i'm proud we are still nursing! that being said he nurses 3-4 times a day and anywhere from 3, 4, 5+ times a night!! my question is….is it reverse nursing even if the babies aren't really nursing for nurishment but ithink it's more for closeness/comfort. we co-sleep so i'm always available and i love being so close to him but the constant wakings sometimes really get to me and i'm so exhausted during the day!

annae07 at aol dot com

6. 6 Welcome to the Nurse-athon | Natureduo said at 10:09 pm on January 19th, 2012:

[…] I almost bawled my eyes out when I saw my days/nights written out word for word over at theslackermom.  I’ve never met this person in my life and yet she knows what I’m going […]

7. 7 Suzanne~ Natureduo said at 10:19 pm on January 19th, 2012:

I've wanted to comment here all day! Thank you for this. I believe we started this a week ago and are very much still in the middle of it. Of course I've had all sorts of "helpful" advise, but no one could tell me what was wrong with my happy baby. Now that I have a name I can find a way to cope with this new NORMAL challenge.
    My recent post Welcome to the Nurse-athon

8. 8 Jeniffer Smith said at 3:31 pm on January 20th, 2012:

I also didn't know the term…but my daughter has been doing it for months! Even though I don't work, she's so easily distracted during the day (and of course she's been eating more solids lately). I think it's more of a security issue overall, but still, I'd love to get some sleep sometime soon!
    My recent post The Monster in our Diapers: Yeast Infection

9. 9 Gaby @ Tmuffin said at 10:09 pm on January 20th, 2012:

I wrote about it in my post… not surprisingly, my babies didn't really follow any patterns when it came to breastfeeding at all. And they were both really bad sleepers and nursed a lot at night anyway. But it was so much easier to cosleep than to have to get up with them. Now, Little M has started to get distracted at night, which is hard. He nurses, then sits up, talks, pokes me in the eyes, tries to crawl off the bed… So now I have to rock him after I nurse to get him back to sleep. THAT is tiring.
    My recent post Reverse Cycling is a Meandering Road

10. 10 Mrs. Smitty said at 10:29 pm on January 20th, 2012:

Juggling my 3yo and 8mo means I know exactly what reverse cycling is. Between the 2 of them and the dogs, it’s difficult to nurse without being distracted. I’m never 100% focused on just her nursing during the day, there’s always a toddler talking with me or a dog trying to nudge in for attention. It meant for really difficult nights for awhile. Then we worked it out, almost naturally, that my nursling will go to bed about the same time as her sister around 7. Then she wakes about 10 or 11 for some cuddly, uninterrupted nursing time. Straight back to bed and she sleeps until 6ish with her sister. I get a nice long stretch of uninterrupted sleep and she gets what she needs, completely focused mom/nursing time. We choose to have them sleep in the same room, which helps them both desensitize to noise and helps them bond.

{I did copy and paste my response from my comment with Sisters 'n Cloth, it seemed like the same response was the right response for both posts}
    My recent post Cold Season and Ear Infections

11. 11 Jenny K said at 9:06 pm on January 21st, 2012:

We co-sleep, too, and I find that nursing at night to not be that bad since you get to stay in bed and doze back off! Luckily, my kiddo hasn't ever reverse cycled, but he's always nursed at night and just recently at 19 months started to sleep all night…..most of the time. 🙂
    My recent post Cloth Diapers: Conquering Rashes

12. 12 Texas Momma said at 1:57 pm on January 22nd, 2012:

Ahh, co-sleeping helped me survive this with my oldest! I worked and he was in day care and wasn't very fond of bottles. He'd drink a little of what I pumped but not "enough" apparently! He'd nurse all night long, but thankfully I was pretty much able to sleep through it! I'd wake up every few hours to switch sides and he was happy. The day care ladies always wondered why he napped so much & ate so little while he was there!!

13. 13 Ashley said at 8:32 pm on January 26th, 2012:

I’m stopping by from Stumble Tumble Tuesday and just stumbled you – great post! My post is http://carolinacouponer.com/2012/01/tasty-tuesday… — Thanks 🙂
    My recent post *HOT* GET PAID to Test Revlon Lip Gloss!