Oh Crap.

Posted: January 24th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Reviews and Giveaways, Sponsored Posts | Tags: Autism, parenting, safety | 9 Comments »

Lincoln figured out how to open doors.  And not just the ones with the long handles.  Knobs.  He can open doors with knobs!  Wyatt figured out how to remove the safety covers months ago, so now if they work in unison we’re kind of screwed.  I guess it’s good they don’t often work in unison!

Maybe this isn’t such a huge revelation, he is 3 after all.  But for us, this feels kind of huge.  Our entire safety plan revolves around containment.  If he can come and go as he pleases, I guess we need a new plan!  What if he wakes up, jiggles the bedroom door open, goes to the front door, springs the locks and then walks out?

Actually, at this point I’m not so worried he’s going to escape into the night (although I’m pretty sure after this post Yogi Dad will be).  He’s our soundest sleeper.  Once he’s out.  He’s out.  So at least for now I think we’re good with the child safety products we’ve already got in place.

Door locks, baby monitor, cabinet locks…you know, the usual suspects.

So far his door opening has been confined to breaking into our room.  He loves to check out the DVD collection and my perfume cabinet and take a good long jump on the bed.  (Big beds are better for jumping on.)  For now I guess I’m OK with this typical toddler curiosity spurt.  As long as it stays confined to opening doors inside the house.  During normal waking hours.

But, he’s got autism, so in the future we’re definitely going to have to look into some other safety options.  Like GPS Tracking.  Maybe an electronic ankle bracelet of some sort?  I’m only half kidding on this one.  I’m sure I am not the first parent to think about it.

Maybe for now we’ll just add some chain locks to the doors that lead outside and to the basement and look into some sort of home security system.  I’d say window alarms but they love to bang on their windows and I imagine those would be going off day and night.  I can’t think of anything more heart pounding than waking up to a window alarm.

Of course, we do have Stanley: the dog that barks at everything.  Morning, noon or night.

I’m pretty sure Lincoln isn’t going anywhere as long as Stanley is around and if he tried, everyone in a 3 block radius would know about it.

Disclosure: This was written with consideration for The Home Security Store.

9 Comments on “Oh Crap.”

1. 1 Beth R said at 3:37 pm on January 24th, 2012:

That is what we did to our doors that go outside. We added a bell to the bottom and put chains on just to make sure he couldn't get out. The only problem is now is that he can get the little step ladder out and stand on it and reach it. He hasn't done it except to let the dog out but it still worries me at night.

2. 2 Texas Momma said at 5:17 pm on January 24th, 2012:

When my oldest was about 3 he figured out how to open doors too. Including unlocking and opening the outside doors. We bought the safety chains and installed them on the TOPS of the doors. He's 5 now and he still can't reach them, even with his step stool! My husband thought I was nuts for wanting them on the tops of the doors, but he's since admitted I was right lol.

3. 3 Rebecca said at 5:17 pm on January 24th, 2012:

My godson learned locks far too early for his parents taste as well (also around 3) we went to visit and he came out to greet us much to the surprise of his parents. Luckily he hasn't ventured out of his own yard unobserved

4. 4 Becky Worthman said at 10:11 am on January 25th, 2012:

Hmm..I am surprised they don't have kid-trackers out there, at least some sort. 😀

5. 5 Ashley E said at 2:53 pm on January 25th, 2012:

My daughter just learned how to open all the doors too! We have knob covers on everything now! Can't even be alone to go to the bathroom! LOL

6. 6 amy v said at 4:42 pm on January 25th, 2012:

wow- what kinds of things do i have to look forward to w/ my little guy?! he just turned 1 and doesn't have autism…that we're aware of, but he's very curious so i'm sure we will have to be careful! yes he has managed to open doors so we had to lock those and do the usual 'baby proofing'. It's amazing how something so litle can get into so much! 😉

annae07 at aol dot com

7. 7 Rachel N said at 12:50 pm on January 26th, 2012:

Wow, my son learned how to open doors at 19 months! Knobs too, we don't have the lever kind. Luckily he hasn't learned how to take off safety covers so we are still good for now.

8. 8 Sarah Jane said at 11:15 am on January 27th, 2012:

I'm glad my daughter has not {yet} figured how to open doors. She LOVES to close doors though, and cries and cries until it's opened again. Then she proceeds to close them, and the cycle starts all over again. I'm glad you have Stanley!!
    My recent post Mummy's Yeast Rolls {Recipe}

9. 9 cheap bras said at 2:55 am on February 4th, 2012:

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name Padded Bra. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts wedding party dresses and nothing beats a big audiance 😉