truyen ma
Hands OFF! | The Slacker Mom

Hands OFF!

by Erin Clotfelter on 02/02/2012

Welcome to week 5 of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by The Gnome’s Mom, Happiness Redefined and me, The Slacker Mom!  The linky for the hop will be open Thursday and Friday of this week, feel free to link up pertinent posts (new or old).

This weeks topic for the Breastfeeding Blog Hop is Sex and Breastfeeding!

Sex and breastfeeding…when I told YogiDad the topic of the week, he laughed!  I’m glad he can find the humor in the fact that there wasn’t a lot of anything happening at our house while I was breastfeeding Judah.

For some women, breastfeeding can have profound physical effects that eliminate your sex drive altogether.  Not an issue you want to face when you are already stretched thin by nursing around the clock and taking care of three kids.  I had no idea the two were connected until I did some digging and chatting with some other moms in a moms group.  I wasn’t weird, I wasn’t alone, actually…this seemed to be the norm.  It was crappy, but at least I had some answers and some direction as to how to take charge of the situation.

What was your experience?  Were you ready to jump back into the proverbial saddle at 6 weeks or were you running in the opposite direction?

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Sarah Jane February 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

With my daughter, I did not have too much of a decrease in my sex drive, for which my husband is/was glad. :)
My recent post Fall in Love with Love Giveaway

2 Suzanne ~ Natureduo February 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Bwaaaa hahahahah!!! Running in the opposite direction for sure! Glad to know it was/is normal!
My recent post Kindermusik

3 Rachel N February 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It takes me about 7 months before I really look forward to intimacy. Once baby is sleeping better and has started solids and taken some of the pressure off of me things start to get back to normal.

4 Jena February 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I was happy to do "other things" with my hubby within a week of bringing baby home, but we're a bed-sharing family, and it's been hard to get the libido to jive with baby's sleep/nursing schedule. Even a year later, our sex life is practically non-existent.

5 lianemarkus February 2, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Many who will be seeing this will really be interested with the topic that you have created here. However, breastfeeding mothers should probably be reading this because according to some people who already have babies, Their libido is decreasing after the baby is delivered and mothers are more focused with taking care of their babies.
My recent post שליחת SMS

6 Andrea G. February 3, 2012 at 5:49 am

It's things like this that I'm glad I'm reading about now instead of being surprised later. My husband and I are TTC our first, and the more things like this I stumble upon, the more I'm happy I did! Thanks for this post!

7 Becky Worthman February 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

I haven't gotten there yet, but this post was very helpful, so I can know what to expect, and maybe warn my husband. That way, if it happens we are prepared, and if not, delightfully surprised. :) THANKS!

8 Christy February 4, 2012 at 1:33 am

I have a blog, but I'll post here so I don't have to worry about my teen sons reading my response. We have five sons and I have nursed each one (still nursing our last one who is almost two). Breastfeeding definitely affected my desire and the actual act of sex. Minor post-partum compounded the issue and it was difficult for my husband to understand. Make sure that you and your spouse know what to expect. I do have a piece of advice for making things easier physically, though: organic extra-virgin coconut oil. ;)

9 cheap bras February 4, 2012 at 2:49 am

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name Padded Bra. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts wedding party dresses and nothing beats a big audiance ;)

10 Gaby @ Tmuffin February 4, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Six weeks? I'm STILL running!! My midwives used to joke that at least I wasn't pregnant again at the 6 week post partum appointment, because they've seen it plenty. Who has sex before 6 weeks? OMG. My mind, my exhaustion, and my vagina were definitely not ready for that.
My recent post I'm Organizing My Office in 29 Days

11 Dana Burke April 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Great post – basically articulating what many new mothers are thinking! Every mom has to adjust to such a massive shift in their lives at their own pace, in their own way – I think most dads thankfully understand that.

Along those lines (i.e. helping new moms adjust to new realities), we've just started offering lactation services at our ABC Moms parenting consulting group, here in the Chicagoland area. I thought I would share an article about breastfeeding tips that we've just published, in case it is helpful?

Thanks again!

Dana Burke, PhD

12 Rachel July 6, 2012 at 6:10 am

Geez, I'm still running in the opposite direction! I can count on my hands the number of times we've had sex since my son was born, and he's almost 16 months old. Maybe it's because we've had so much trouble nursing, I've been too focused on that, or maybe it's just the busyness of being a working mom, but I have no drive whatsoever.
My recent post Wordless Wednesday #6 Red, White and Blue