And then I ate my weight in almonds…

Posted: February 9th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding Blog Hop | Tags: Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Blog Hop | 9 Comments »

Welcome to week 6 of the Breastfeeding Blog hop! This week we are talking snacks- as we all know, once that baby gets here and starts nursing, it takes extra calories to keep you going! So tell me, what are your Top 5 Breastfeeding Snacks?

After two hyperemesis pregnancies where I could barely eat or drink it was most humorous to me that once I gave birth, I was insatiable. I was losing weight like crazy and I was eating more than I could remember eating in my entire life. What I wouldn’t give for that to happen now!

Before the twins were born I had read that it was important to snack to keep my energy up and keep my supply going. Before we left for the hospital I had a nursing and pumping station set up at the end of our couch. I had a little basket giftbag (I’m classy) full of snacks to fit any of my cravings right next to the couch so I didn’t have to get up. It was perfect!

With Judah I didn’t have the luxury of having a fully stocked nursing and pumping station because I also had two toddlers running around. I felt like I hardly snacked at all when I was nursing Judah. I think I survived on nothing but coffee the first 2 months. How times change!

My favorite snacks (in no particular order):

1- Flavored Almonds– Wasabi Soy, Balsamic, Salt and Pepper…you name it, I was eating them by the handful.

Almonds: The perfect nursing snack!

2- Cheese– lots and lots of cheese (obviously this was not kept by the couch)

Breastfeeding makes me crave cheese

3- Crackers– Town House Bistro Flatbread crackers to be exact. I was known to plow through a box every 2 days. Until I found the Blue Diamond Nut Thins!

Once you have one, you can't stop eating them!

4- Cascadian Farms Chocolate Chip Granola Bars– I don’t know why but once I started eating these, all other granola bars were off the list. I can thank my sister Ryon for this one- she brought me box while I was in the hospital 😉

They taste like heaven

5- Instant Oatmeal– Lots of it. I like the Oat Revolution packets because they have Flax seed in them but I pretty much ate whatever oatmeal I could get my hands on. Old Fashioned, Irish, Steel Cut, Instant, Quick…I always tried the natural remedies for pumping up my supply and oatmeal always tops the list!

another perfect breastfeeding food

What is on your list? What are your go-to snacks while breastfeeding? Link up your post and be sure to check out the other hoppers on this week’s Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by Happiness Redefined, The Gnome’s Mom and Me!

9 Comments on “And then I ate my weight in almonds…”

1. 1 Nikki Vandiver said at 3:18 am on February 9th, 2012:

I'm ADDICTED to crackers too!! lol

2. 2 Savanah said at 4:05 am on February 9th, 2012:

Hummus with bell peppers!

3. 3 Sarah Jane said at 11:35 am on February 9th, 2012:

I LOVE raw almonds, but the wasabi almonds are good too!! Once again, I enjoyed this week's blog hop!!
    My recent post I'm So Hungry {Breastfeeding Blog Hop}

4. 4 Hannah VW said at 3:11 pm on February 9th, 2012:

Just wanted to say the title of this post made me laugh.

5. 5 Suzanne~Natureduo said at 11:18 pm on February 9th, 2012:

I think I scared my husband with the amount of food I ate when I got home from the hospital! After 7 months I hope he's getting used to it. I LOVE crackers!!! My favorite was graham crackers and then I had to go dairy free.
    My recent post Simply Snacking

6. 6 lianemarkus said at 1:03 am on February 10th, 2012:

Perhaps, husbands out there have difficulty coping with the situation with their wives when they get pregnant because there are really changes that are happening. But what you have here made me smile. I also love eating chocolate chips and I swear it is my favorite.
    My recent post Baby Eagle

7. 7 Andrea G. said at 2:02 am on February 10th, 2012:

I literally laughed out loud at the basket giftbag (I'm classy) part. Hey, you're a mom.. you're allowed to have a bag because a basket is much more work.

I really like the idea of a nursing/pumping station. I'm going to try to set one up on our couch too so that it's centrally located in the house. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. 8 Jenny K said at 10:59 pm on February 11th, 2012:

I had a little snack station set up next to where I nursed, too! It was a lifesaver! I seriously wouldn't have eaten otherwise!
    My recent post Ten on Ten: February 2012

9. 9 It's Not Like a Cat said at 10:10 pm on February 18th, 2012:

I ate constantly (um, so maybe I still do!). I also had a massive sugar/cupcake/cookie habit throughout my last trimester and first 8 months postpartum (both times!). Once those calorie-burning first months were over, I then trained for (and ran) a marathon, which meant I got to keep eating like a horse. I'm still breastfeeding my almost-2YO, but I know one of these days I'll wean him and probably cut back on running for some reason and will have to learn not to eat every half hour. 😉