House of Books

Posted: February 20th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Reviews and Giveaways, Sponsored Posts | Tags: Reading | 9 Comments »

We have been slowly evolving our bedtime routine for the boys over the past 2 years. They still go to bed at 7pm and they still get stories and songs, but we’re starting to get to the fun part- the part where they make requests! I love that they love to read and be read to and it’s thrilling to have them fall in love with certain books.

Yogi Dad and I are both big readers and hope to foster that in all of the boys. Books continue to be one of the absolute favorite things in the house and we have a lot of them. I feel like we are constantly moving mountains of them from one room to the next. Trying to keep the “good” books (books with real pages) in one piece, tracking down missing dust jackets, repairing books that need a little TLC and removing books that really have no chance of survival at the hands of 3 little boys. This is not a bad thing in my eyes.

But back to the requests! Right now every single on of them is smitten with King Hugo’s Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen- quite a mouthful for toddlers but they all chime in when we ask what story we should read first. Judah even adds in his opinion with a shrill “GO!” (he only hits the last syllable of words so we just go with it). Corduroy is a close second for Lincoln and of course the Super Why books are at the top of the list as well.

Our favorite bedtime book

It’s a far cry from The Wind and the Willows which Yogi Dad has been trying to read to them since they were born, but I figure we’ll get there some day. I still have dreams of settling in with Harry Potter or the Little House series and of course the Shel Silverstein that I loved so much as a pre-teen.

World Book Day is March 1st. I didn’t even know there was such a thing, but lo and behold, there is. Of course, if we were going all out and in need of World Book Day costumes, Super Why would be at the top of the list. Then again, we already did that for Halloween. Maybe I could dress them up as King Hugo in robes of red with a different gigantic head on each one of them. Too much?

I wonder if any libraries are having swank parties to celebrate? Yogi Dad and I could get Fancy Dress Ball Outfits (Harry and Hermione? Edmond Dantes and Mercedes? Alice and the Mad Hatter?) snag a babysitter and hit the town!

How do you celebrate books in your house? Do your kids devour books like ours do? Tell me you favorite bedtime book for toddlers or what do you hope to read to them one day? I’d love to add a few to the collection.

This post is featured for www.fancydressball.co.uk to promote World Book Day.

• No Related Posts

9 Comments on “House of Books”

1. 1 momto8blog said at 9:10 am on February 20th, 2012:

good for your family!! We are huge readers here too…and books are the only thing I happily spend money on!! each kid has a book shelf in thier room and there are books all over the house…someone is always reading as book someone else just read!! As my kids got older i could see how reading helped them in almost all aspects of their lives!!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

2. 2 SRM said at 10:32 am on February 20th, 2012:

We're big book readers here too. It's a great way to unwind after a long day and to connect with kids. I found you on the blog hop! now following. Stop by and say hi if you get a moment =)

My recent post First Snowfall of the Season

3. 3 Natalie said at 10:45 am on February 20th, 2012:

Hi I found you on my morning blog. I read your article on baby proofing your MIL house and the one on reading to your kids at nights(I miss doing that). I to have a son with Autism(Aspergers) your lucky in the aspect that things have changed a lot in the last 20 years, it was hell when my son was young. I'm following you on Google,Linky and Twitter. Hope you follow me back at Bridget's Daughter http://bridgetsdaughter5.blogspot.com
    My recent post Its Sunday Joke Day!

4. 4 Carrie said at 11:21 am on February 20th, 2012:

I am a huge reader! I love to read! I read to our 6 month old son every night! I hope he grows to love reading!! Just stopping by from the Make Your Morning Blog Hop! Come check me out at http://www.therundhaugfamily.com!
    My recent post What's a Mom Worth

5. 5 Heidi said at 5:59 pm on February 20th, 2012:

I'm a big book lover, hubby… not so much. So far though our 2-year-old is pretty hooked when it comes to books. her favorites right now are anything by Seuss, The Barnyard Dance, Goodnight Moon & Lullaby Moon. She'll pretty much sit through anything that rhymes!

6. 6 Shannon Stubbs said at 12:07 am on February 21st, 2012:

I'm stopping over from Make your morning blog hop as well.. I am a huge reader. I read everything, every chance I get and I have definitely instilled that in our 16 month old daughter. Lately when she wakes up (she sleeps with us) I let her get down and play while I groggily lay there in bed watching her, and she will either grab her books or grab whatever murder mystery I happen to be reading and sits on the dog bed with one of our dogs and reads to her. This is The. Most. Adorable. Thing. Ever!!!!! I use to try to read to her before bed, but she wasn't interested, she only wanted to nurse. Now I just let her lead, and about 4 times a day, she will sit down with books and read them. I try to catch her doing this and sit down and read with her and talk about the pictures. She is really getting into lift the flap books now. My personal favorite to read to her is a book we got from Scholastic book orders(they send these out at our baby class which I love) called "How About A Kiss For Me" by Todd Tarpley. The level of cuteness in this book is off the charts! The first two pages….Do you like to kiss a dog/ Do you like to kiss a frog? As we read, I ask her if she wants to kiss whatever it is, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't but it's just too cute and fun to read with her. I would recommend reading this. Another book that I used to read when I taught 2 year olds was Firetruck, firetruck. GReatest book on CD ever! You can find the video on you tube to watch, but be warned, it is very catchy. Even my 10 year old and 5 year old nephew and niece love when I pull it off of you tube and we watch it. We all end up singing along, and this has happened with every child I have ever met.

Her dad generally works out of state for a few weeks at a time, and he would call at night when I was nursing her and read her a story over the phone. Sorry, rambling on now I think, but what can I say, I love books! Our daughter currently has 4 different baskets / shelves of books…..and I keep buying more.

I'd love if you would stop by my blog… http://www.HousesByShannon.blogspot.com (It's not a real estate blog, I just haven't changed my name there). Now it's Mommy of One and Counting. Thanks for the post!

7. 7 Inda said at 7:03 am on February 21st, 2012:

Great blog!! My children love reading, they really have no preference when it comes to them, as long as I am reading with them. It's such a special time. Nice blog!! Stopping by via Linky, I am new follower. http://www.questofthenocturnalbaker.blogspot.com

8. 8 Lis said at 5:32 pm on February 21st, 2012:

So happy to have found your blog through LInky:) I can't say I'm a huge reader at this point in life although it is something I am striving towards;) I blame it on being a mother of 4, but really I just don't make the time. We have made it a habit to read to all of the kiddos and thankfully, they are ALL big readers! Follow back when you can! http://www.papermellie.typepad.com
    My recent post DIY Dry Erase {PI #42 & #43}

9. 9 gusMAN42 said at 11:44 pm on February 21st, 2012:

i was obsessed with reading as a kid. i would walk to the public library every saturday and turn in my 7 or 8 books for new ones, until i got attacked by a dog one morning on my way. that sucked. anyway, my son is in a current funk with the reading thing…he will only let me read the same 3 books, despite trips to the library and constant attempts to sneak in a new one. makes me a bit crazy. go dog, go is about to go in the fireplace. anyway, found you on Make Your Morning and i hope that as a new follower, your morning has been made. 🙂 i am so overwhelmed (as an age-old writer but new blogger) that this huge, awesome world of mommy bloggers even exists. have a great day! jessica