Losing It

Posted: February 22nd, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: The Year of Erin | Tags: The Year of Erin, Weight Loss | 9 Comments »

Remember when I said I was joining a gym? I did that. I’m about 2 weeks in and I really love it.

It’s been a struggle to figure out how to get to the pool during adult lap swim hours, but I think I am getting into a routine. The goal was to go in the morning when the boys were in school, but the water aerobics class starts at 9am and so I need to be done by then. A 7:45 bus pick-up for the boys + 25 minute drive to the gym + drop Judah off and get through the locker room means I am barely squeezing in 30 minutes when the goal was an hour.

I tried the aerobics class, but I just don’t feel the burn like I do when I swim laps. I want to be out of breath, I want my heart to pound, I want to sweat. Water aerobics was almost leisurely. And I was at least 30 years younger than everyone else in the class. Easily.

So, on days when Yogi Dad is working from home I will get everyone ready for the bus and hightail it out of there and let him get them on the bus. Today was the first day we tried that and I got a 45 minute swim in. It felt great. I’m thinking if I can trim a few minutes off of dropping Judah off I could get even more time. So that takes care of 2 days a week, the other day I might just have to be OK with 30 minutes and try to add an extra day on the weekend.

But seriously people. I’m doing this! It feels so good.

I’ve also been tracking my food and water on My Fitness Pal (are you on Myfitnesspal? You can follow me- my name is erinclot). We’ve only been doing it for like 10 days so far and it is very eye opening.

The first few days we fumbled around trying to make good choices. I didn’t even enter Valentine’s Day because it was like a fast-food fest and delicious baked goods from Cupcake while we were out shopping for furniture. Then I had a day where I really wanted a snack and was almost at my limit for the day so I entered my time spent cleaning (for me this is cheating even if I was actually doing the work) just so I could add extra daily calories and not feel bad about the snack. It was the most unsatisfying snack ever.

Lesson learned!

I’m really paying attention and I’m actually excited about it!

My water intake started really good- I wasn’t hitting my 100 ounces a day but I was getting close (8-9 glasses). Now I’m kind of back to barely drinking anything at all. I can do better.

I also joined a nutrition class at the gym- at least for 4 weeks. I figure it can’t hurt to sit down with a nutritionist and learn more about making good choices.

So that’s where I am- I have 50 pounds to lose and I am looking for you to keep me motivated!

Anyone have any tips on keeping water at the forefront of my mind? I just don’t even think about it and then I realize it’s noon and I haven’t had anything to drink since my morning coffee…

The Year of Erin continues!

After jumping up a bit on the scale after my initial weigh in- I am back down to where I started. Looking forward to seeing these numbers drop!

9 Comments on “Losing It”

1. 1 Sarah said at 11:45 am on February 22nd, 2012:

Way to go! I am really bad about saying I'm going to go and then I don't but I'm working on it 🙂
    My recent post Not-So-Wordless Wednesday

2. 2 Laura P said at 11:52 am on February 22nd, 2012:

Just sent you a request on there. I've been slacking lately but know that this works {for me at least} if I just stick with it.

3. 3 clot77 said at 12:18 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

Very proud of you honey!

4. 4 Kyley Leger said at 12:18 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

I have a camel back water bottle. It goes everywhere. I have goals of finishing it and refilling at lunch and at after work. That gives me about 9 glasses of water a day. I hated drinking water until I started drinking out of this. I think it's the straw that makes me drink it. Now I like water! Good luck!

5. 5 Eileen said at 12:48 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

Good job! Another good cardio workout is the treadmill. Select "random" or "hills" for the program, and try to go at a speed of 3.8-4.0 mph. A fast, but do-able walking pace and the hills will get your heart up to burn those calories. Also, look into resistance/weight lifting at least 2 times a week to build strength and muscles. You won't get bulky from this weight training, but it will help you burn more calories over the long term.

6. 6 Lori said at 12:56 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

The straw cup works wonders for me & my water intake.
    Lori recently posted..Charlie Banana Review & GiveawayMy Profile

7. 7 SRM said at 2:59 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

nice job! I love love love swimming. It's easily my favorite sport.
    My recent post Angry Birds

8. 8 DJG said at 5:22 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

I LOVE water aerobics. The first few times I tried it, I thought it was pretty easy too. . . but after getting used to the movements I found it was easy to up the intensity and felt like I got a very good workout.

9. 9 Marta28 said at 9:59 pm on February 22nd, 2012:

So So So Proud of you! Way to go!

I may just have to join this My Fitness Pal. I joined the gym on January 31st and I have been once since then. Granted I was very ill in February, but … I've been better for a week. I'm nervous to enter the food I eat (I have the lose it app on my iphone) because I'm embarrassed to quantify how much I eat. I've got 35 lbs to lose… I think I'm going to need to step it up you've definitely motivated me!
    My recent post When Will It Be Enough?