Clutching my (imaginary) Pearls

Posted: March 12th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Stuff I Like | Tags: Preppie | 7 Comments »

Manic Mommy Monday!

So this is a space we can write about anything, right? I’m going to regale you with a little bit about my guilty pleasure: Town & Country magazine.

I’ve read it off and off for years when I want to escape my SAHM life into the world of The Haves for a few hours. I finally broke down and got myself a subscription and I couldn’t be happier. It never disappoints.

Every month I look forward to what I will find within it’s pages stuffed with glossy ads for high fashion and accessories. Mostly rich people problems like: “When your neighbors art collection makes you blush!” or how men can assert their style with “a peek of color at the ankles”. This month I am treated to a barrage of Reversal of Fortune stories- you know…tales of “reduced circumstances“. I had to laugh because, holy crap. WHO talks like that?

Well, apparently preppy people, for one. People with nicknames like Weezie and Bootsy. Which brings me to The Preppy Handbook. I devoured that thing when I was a freshman in college. I love(d) everything preppy (possibly for the same reasons I have a small obsession with the south). I watched Metropolitan about 50 times in high school (quite the feat when I was renting and re-renting from Blockbuster). I wore loafers when everyone was wearing Doc Martens. I have an unhealthy like of brightly colored madras and the mystique of boarding school.

And now, to quench my love for all things preppie; Whit Stillman (director of Metropolitan) is back with Damsels in Distress. I can hardly wait.

What is your escape?

And don’t forget to link up to Manic Mommy Monday where we are getting back to talking about ourselves and our lives and out kids and all the crazy thoughts that go through out minds (no reviews, giveaways or sponsored posts).

• No Related Posts

7 Comments on “Clutching my (imaginary) Pearls”

1. 1 Janine said at 5:08 am on March 12th, 2012:

Heh, my guiltiest of guilty pleasures is definitely Army Wives. Sort of similar to yours in some ways. It's a little Southern and even a little religious sometimes, but I just eat it up. I dream about having a group of friends like that, and being home as a housewife under totally different circumstances, and that Keeping up with the Jones' sort of mentality. It's so different from my daily life.

I would take a perverse and very real pleasure in reading stories about rich people having to downsize.
    My recent post Emily Deschanel for Loving Eco

2. 2 Regan said at 12:57 pm on March 12th, 2012:

I can totally appreciate being amused by rich people problems. They're so ludicrous sometimes. But as long as they know NASCAR owners, they can pretend to be just like us
    My recent post Manic Mommy Monday: Dusting Myself Off

3. 3 Amanda said at 1:04 pm on March 12th, 2012:

πŸ™‚ I too am intrigued by private schools! And, would love if my only dilemma was where to seat Bootsy at my afternoon tea or luncheon! I would really love to sit in on a ritsy luncheon, I'm sure my manners are appalling. It would be a good laugh. Thanks for 'outing' yourself with such an entertaining guilty pleasure!
    My recent post Meet the Manic Mommy Adventurer MMM #2

4. 4 Lori said at 11:12 pm on March 12th, 2012:

I haven't had an escape lately, I need to get back to reading easy, sleazy, & cheesy novels πŸ˜‰

5. 5 Marianela Aybar said at 8:33 am on March 13th, 2012:

I really love Once Upon A Time on ABC. To be honest, that is the only downtime I give myself. Between the baby, house work, and school, I hardly have time for anything. But even if I don't catch it on TV I try and find time to watch the episode online. Oh and I used to think I was preppy in high school. Not so much so LOL
    My recent post Car Seat Nightmare

6. 6 EmmaK said at 10:01 am on March 13th, 2012:

Hiya I'm over from Make My Morning blog hop. My guilty pleasure is watching Real Housewives of New York and standing back to watch the bitch fest. I also like reading Hello! magazine and getting a peek into the lives of Kate Middleton and Prince William.
    My recent post Coping with the Black Hole of Calcutta

7. 7 Emily D. said at 11:41 am on March 13th, 2012:

With a toddler in the house, my only escape is my toilet visits really… that just sounded bad πŸ™ Need to do something about that.
    My recent post Dentist filing down your healthy teeth? It is outrageous!