Naming Babies…My Favorite Past-time!

Posted: June 21st, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Parenting, Stuff I Like | Tags: Baby Names, Just for Fun | 16 Comments »

Well, not all-time favorite, but it’s high on the list. Who doesn’t like to daydream about names? Don’t answer that, I’m not sure I want to know those people.

So, while we don’t have number 4 brewing just yet, I still get a my fill of baby name talk in my mom groups that I belong to and nightly reading over at Swistle: Baby Names. Since there isn’t a reason to write Swistle (right now anyways), I thought I would work on my letter here. Just in case we should find ourselves in baby naming hell one day in the future.

*****

Baby Brother or Sister to Lincoln, Wyatt, and Judah

Dear Swistle,

My husband and I are expecting our 4th child (not really- this is pretend, play along), due in…I’ll say June ( just to emphasize the pretend-ness). Our last name is a typical clunky German last name- 3 syllables starting with a CL and ending with ER with a T right in the middle. My name is Erin, my husband’s name is John.

With our twins we did not know the sex (although we knew they were identical) and were able to decide on two sets of names fairly quickly- Lincoln Davis and Wyatt Josef for boys and Hazel Adeline and Charlotte Lucille for girls. Obviously we had boys. Of those names, Davis, Josef, Hazel, Adeline, Charlotte and Lucille were all family names (or derivative of family names). Our youngest son was named Judah Michael after my husband’s aunt and uncle (Judith and Michael).

As you can see, family names have played a fairly big part in our baby naming thus far. I kind of feel like we have bottomed out on good names we like though. My husband will try to toss Bonnie and Walter into the mix but I just can’t do it (and I don’t think anyone in his family would fault me for not using them).  As for girls names, a mom I met while I was pregnant with the twins has since named her 3 girls Adeline, Lucy and Hazel and although I do love the names, I’m kind of over using them myself. Hazel is the only one of the bunch that is still a possibility for me.

We tend to like names that sound somewhat traditional, maybe a little old fashioned. I do like the hard T sound in Wyatt quite a lot but don’t think adding a Charlotte or an Emmett would be a good combination- too much T. I really like that all 3 boys have a 2-2-3 syllable pattern and would like to keep that if we had another boy. I would be willing to go a different route with a girl (mostly because many of our favorite names are longer). Nicknames aren’t a must or a deal breaker, we’ve found with all of our kids that we end up with nicknames no matter what, it’s just not something we can fight!

Our backgrounds are Swedish, Norwegian, German and English (me) and Scottish, Croatian and Swiss-German on my husbands side. I would absolutely ADORE a Scandinavian name. While Lincoln and Judah seem to be climbing the charts- Wyatt was much more popular that I would like but I loved it so much I didn’t even look to see where it was at once we had settled (it was #19 in MN the year he was born- eek!). I would rather stay out of the top 100 if possible, but if I really love the name, it’s not a deal breaker.

I’ll start with girl names, since we haven’t been able to use any yet and they seem to give us the most trouble:

– Hazel (shortened from Hazelton, my grandpa’s middle name and his mother’s maiden name)
– Merit (probably my favorite)
– Solveig (although I’m not sure this rolls off my tongue very well)
– Waverly (my husbands favorite)
– Magdalene (probably for a middle name)
– Frances (Probably for a middle name)
– Pearl
– Ivy

And Boys. Up until now I felt like boys are easy to name but I kind of feel tapped out. I’m having trouble finding something that coordinates well with our names that are kind of across the board. Lincoln and Wyatt seem to be of the same era (albeit different styles) and Judah is the odd man out. I need something to tie them all together.

– Merrick
– Barrett (I love this but I do kind of think the nickname Barry sounds skeevy)
– Archer
– Ezra  (not my husbands favorite)
– Francis (middle name only)
– ????

See?  Tapped. Out.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Sincerely,
The Slacker Mom

*****

So- obviously I’m not sending this to Swistle*- she has much more pressing things to do, like help people who are having naming dilemmas for actual babies that will be born any minute!

But, *you* can tell me what you think! What do you suggest? Are there names I am completely missing that seem to fit my criteria? Do you love to talk names too?

*Who am I kidding?  I’ll send and email or a tweet or something to see if I can get it on her radar!

• No Related Posts

16 Comments on “Naming Babies…My Favorite Past-time!”

1. 1 Melissa Kaye said at 10:08 pm on June 21st, 2012:

Fun, FUN! We had the hardest time coming up with a second girl name once we found out that both the twins were girls. I really liked Emma, but HATED the popularity of it…..so we combined names. We took Emma and Irene and combined it to create Emmarene. We get TONS of compliments on it and it's a name I still adore (plus she's named after 2 of my great grandmas that I adored). Ever thought of going that route? How Scandanavian do you want to be? You could take a traditional name and use the Scandanavian spelling (that's what we did with Peder, plus it's from my maiden name Pederson). Curious to hear what others suggest!

P.S. I like Merrick, but not Merit. Is that odd? I really like Magdalene!

2. 2 erinclot said at 9:51 am on June 22nd, 2012:

Merrick is moving up the charts quickly for us- it seems to pull that old west feel like Wyatt for me (maybe like Maverick?) plus it has a different ending than the other boys names which is kind of nice.

If we went Scandinavian I might want to go full boar but the names down my family tree don't sound particularly Swedish or Norwegian- think John, Albert and Charlotte.

I adore Magdalene, it's been on my list for years and years and I just don't tire of it. It does have a particular Catholic feel to it for me though- Judah feels pretty Jewish to me and I didn't have an issue using that one!

I would really have to think to put two names together, let me think on that one! Peder always seems very European to me- I do like that you used that spelling!

3. 3 J.Rae said at 10:15 pm on June 21st, 2012:

Boys:
    Rikard Francis
    Evrett Asher

Girls:
    Dinah Merit
    Berit Ivy

4. 4 erinclot said at 9:52 am on June 22nd, 2012:

My cousin just named her son Asher- it's on all the lists as a sib name for Judah. I had never really heard it before but it keeps popping up.

Berit for a girl is brilliant- I really love that!

5. 5 mandie said at 10:39 pm on June 21st, 2012:

I love baby name daydreaming!! We seem to have a couple of similar tastes. Wyatt was the 2nd choice for Dawson and Charlotte was my choice for Allie. I love love love Merit for a girl and a boy!! I had an Uncle Merritt and he was amazing…died far too young. Sawyer is another unisex name that I love and Carter too. Barrett is great and you could always go rhett for a nickname. I like Sullivan and Tinsley for girls and Brady and Samuel for. boys as well. Kensington is. another favorite girl name. You’ll come up with something great!

6. 6 erinclot said at 9:56 am on June 22nd, 2012:

Isn't it fun? It's so crazy that I can do it all day when there is no baby to name and as soon as I'm pregnant we can't think of anything!

If I remember correctly, Sawyer was on our lists way back when. I need to find my baby name book and see what we starred. Sullivan was another one we liked.

Good call on Rhett for a nickname, I'm so far removed from the south that didn't even register but it seems so obvious now that you wrote that.

7. 7 Janine said at 2:24 am on June 22nd, 2012:

I love Waverly! And by the time she's older, Wizards of Waverly Place will most likely be off the air. 😉 I actually know a girl online named Merrick and really love it for a girl, but I dig unisex names in general!
    My recent post Sunday Link Love

8. 8 erinclot said at 9:59 am on June 22nd, 2012:

I didn't even think of Wizards of Waverly Place! He actually got it from the movie The Joy Luck Club, which is for some odd reason one of those movies that if it comes on TV he can't help but watch. I go back and forth between loving it and thinking about registering for china. I think Waverly Magdalene rolls off my tongue really well- nice and long and good for yelling!

9. 9 lianemarkus said at 2:44 am on June 22nd, 2012:

Actually, I have thought of this even though I am not yet married and I do not have a baby yet. I know its difficult to think of a unique name but I think this post gave me an idea. I am thinking of what name will I give if in case I will be having a baby girl or baby boy.
    My recent post custom glock accessories

10. 10 Swistle said at 6:41 am on June 22nd, 2012:

I love that you're writing DRAFTS of the letter!

Up until about a month ago I would have been ON YOU to use Walter, because I thought of it as a name just BEGGING for a comeback. Then someone mentioned Walter the Farting Dog, and the love affair fizzled in that one moment.

Bonnie I think has real potential, but I would want to use it as a sunny/sweet nickname, not as a given name—which could ruin the namesakeness.

I wonder if Hazelton would work for a boy, or if the rising popularity of Hazel kills that? Maybe it would be like naming a boy Isabellon or Chloeton.

I like Merit for a boy (one of the few virtue names that works for boys), and I like Mirren and Merrin for a girl.
    My recent post Idea for Not Having to Do a Phone RSVP

11. 11 The Slacker Mom said at 3:38 pm on August 13th, 2012:

Can I just say I was so honored to have you grace my little corner of the internets that I couldn't even respond? You are like blog royalty! Right here in my house!

(Stop gushing Erin…)

Oh, I like Mirren and Merrin. I knew someone when I was growing up named Marin. Definitely names to think about.

Walter. I just can't do it. I can't!

We added Silas to the list. And it might actually be a game changer for us.

It goes with Judah, so he wouldn't be hanging out as the only biblical name. Is it too Jewish? Nothing wrong with Jews, it's just that we aren't, and we get lots of questions ("Will this be a ritual circumcision?") and I wonder if this would just add more?

But I kind of love it.

It seems to be rising in popularity enough to not be weird, but it's still not super popular. Or are we talking about the next Ezra? Which is also a name I love but it seems like there are a lot of little Ezra's running around now.

And lastly, it has a little bit of a connection to our past as we had a class in college together (we didn't know it at the time even though there were only 15 of us in the class) and we both hated the professor with a passion, but we read The Rise and Fall of Silas Lapham and we still talk about that terrible class with Dr. Watts. It would be a nice nod to our years in college.

Also, Lincoln now refers to any baby he sees or hears as baby Silas, so, we've probably just ensured any baby we have will be a girl

Lots to think about! This would definitely be the last one so we'd like to go out with a bang!
    My recent post Pigs, More Pigs, and Bacon on a Stick

12. 12 Ann said at 11:54 pm on June 22nd, 2012:

I think Charlotte and Emmett and still great choices! (How about Everett for an alternative?) Berit is really terrific as well, and Sawyer fits in great with the names you already have. How about Violet?

13. 13 themamabeth said at 12:23 am on June 25th, 2012:

Whoops. I didn't mean to steal your girl-name short list. Are they all family names for you too? I mean, what are the odds?

I can't wait to see what you end up choosing for baby #4, I love your kids' names.

Also-unrelated but I saw your Saturday in pictures and I totally didn't expect your husband to look like that!

14. 14 erinclot said at 3:40 pm on August 13th, 2012:

You totally didn't steal my names. I don't think names "belong" to anyone. I actually think it's crazy that we had so many family names in common!
    My recent post Pigs, More Pigs, and Bacon on a Stick

15. 15 Jenna said at 8:07 am on June 27th, 2012:

This is a topic that terrifies me. There's so much pressure! You've really got it down to a science it seems like. I wouldn't know where to start.

16. 16 Jennifer S said at 1:56 pm on June 28th, 2012:

Our names so far have come about soon after we find out the sex. I tried to go with something sort of unique or not so popular but it mainly came down to what we liked. Grayson had a previous middle name that we nixted when we discovered the initials were GAS so then we went with Xavier. When Carter came we decided to stay with more unique middle names then, and Zane was choosen. One thing with both boys is that they are names from tv/movies. Grayson Xavier is my superhero kid (Robin's last name and Professor X). Carter Zane is from Eureka (Jack Carter and Zane Dovovan). I have been thinking and looking at names recently too. We have had a girl name since the beginning. If we wind up with a girl we will probably still use it. It is family names (my grandmothers and then mine and my mothers middle name).