Simplify.

Posted: June 25th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Stream of Consciousness | Tags: Cleaning, Food, Food Blogging, Simplify | 7 Comments »

I have been overcome with the urge to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff in our life.

From what we put in our mouths to what clutters our rooms and our time.

I have an unhealthy relationship with things.  I cannot part with anything without an argument in my head.  If it was a gift, forget about it.  I’ll probably keep it around forever- even if it’s not useful, not my taste, or long since been relegated to a box in the basement.

I have to let go of the things.

The thing is not what is important- it’s the memory or the person or the occasion and those things will not go away because I donate the item.

I’m working on this.

I have purged our kitchen and am moving on to other rooms of the house.  I should really set a date for a yard sale so I have some accountability to get this done.

In the theme of doing things simply, I just canned for the first time in my life.  We have this black raspberry bush growing along the fence half on our side, half on the neighbors.  Last year we were told to pick until we couldn’t eat anymore, so we have been doing just that.  There have been a lot of berries this year.  At least twice as many as we had last year and I think I’ll get one more day of picking out of it.

But, what to do with all of these berries?  After about 2 days in the fridge everyone has had their fill and they are starting to look a little lifeless.  I figured now would be as good a time as any to try to make jelly.  I found a recipe for Raspberry Jalapeno jelly that looked awesome (even if it didn’t sound very fail proof from the comments).  I’m a fan of jalapeno poppers and they are always great with pepper jelly.  If it doesn’t work I will only be out the price of the jalapenos, the lids and the pectin.  I can live with that.

Right now I’m staring at 9 jars and wondering if they will set up- I’m betting on “No” at this point.  Of course the jars are still flaming hot, so who knows.  Maybe there is a chance.  What was left in the bottom of the pan and the measuring cup seemed to solidify nicely.  I’m crossing my fingers.

Tomorrow I am stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something I never in a million years thought I would be doing.  I’m going on an Oink Outing (with Oink Outings).  I’m meeting up with some local bloggers at the Hilton tomorrow morning and we’ll be cooking with the executive chef there and learning about locally grown pork before we travel to the farm and learn how the pigs are raised.

I am kind of freaking out.

I am far from a food blogger.  Being surrounded by food bloggers intimidates the hell out of me.  Even if I can hold my own in the kitchen, I always bend to the pressure when around others who I perceive to be an authority.  I hope I don’t start something on fire or chop off a finger.

I’m not the poster girl for local and organic eating.  There.  I said it.  The secret is out.  Actually, that wasn’t a secret.  I just find it super cost prohibitive and feeding a family of 5 on a budget of $200 every 2 weeks (including pet food and all miscellaneous items) I have my hands full just avoiding the aisles full of processed foods.  So, I avoid all the documentaries about how food is made and why organic is better because it’s just not attainable right now.

We do however shop the farmers market and choose local restaurants over chains as often as possible.  Most of the restaurants in our area seem to really go with the locally raised foods thing, so when we eat out we are covered.  At the farmer’s market we usually just stick with fruits and veggies although I did buy a dozen eggs the other day and I have to say I am severely underwhelmed.  Where are these huge orange yolks and extra richness I have been hearing about?  They didn’t look any different than the Market Pantry eggs I usually buy and at $5 a dozen…well, let’s just say they might not be on the list next time (see $200 budget).

But!  I am open to learning.  So bring on the piggies.

7 Comments on “Simplify.”

1. 1 Lori said at 9:45 pm on June 25th, 2012:

Total bummer about your $5 eggs! We noticed a pretty significant difference between the .39 eggs at our grocery store and the $4.10 ones at the grocery store. Totally stoked to see the difference with the free ones from our backyard chicken hoard. Purging feels GOOOOD.

2. 2 Tara said at 12:17 am on June 26th, 2012:

Purging is such a good thing. I am so like you and have such a hard time getting rid of things. We are in a two bedroom townhouse with the four of us (two adults, a ten year old and a three year old) and are feeling crowded. Part of this is the fact that we just have so much and part because there just isn't enough room. Some stuff does need to go though , the ten plus boxes of random stuff floating around needs to be dealt with. I am hoping we will buy a house soon and deal with the space issue and am hoping that all that extra junk won't be moving with us but depends how soon the move is…Good luck.. Oh and Jen from Life with Levi thinks you are awesome and so do I!
    My recent post Monday Quiz About Me: Blog Hop #MQAM

3. 3 Jill M said at 7:46 am on June 26th, 2012:

I am doing the same thing right now, and it is so satisfying! So far, two big bags of clothes to Goodwill, and I've only just begun. I noticed that i had so many clothing items crammed into my closet that I didn't really know all the stuff I had in there. Some great pants were getting lost in the mix. As soon as i got rid of the excess, its almost like I had more good stuff, because I could actually find the stuff that fit and looked good. It wasn't lost in the pile anymore. Seriously, there were so many things I tried on that I thought, "Wow – forgot I had that!" Anyway, I'll be going room by room and closet by closet getting rid of stuff. Will sell some, donate some, and just enjoy having a cleaner, less cluttered home.

4. 4 Jessica said at 8:35 am on June 26th, 2012:

I agree with Lori about the bummer of the $5 eggs. But awesome about going out on the oink outing. that sounds like so much fun!!

We went through and got rid of a TON of stuff last year and I plan on getting rid of more stuff when we start moving things around after our remodel. I can't wait to hear about your outing!! How fun and just go with the flow and have fun. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing.
    My recent post Sickness, Rain and Sunshine

5. 5 Sara R said at 8:57 am on June 26th, 2012:

That's weird about the eggs. Seriously. I jump for joy when my brother, who lives in southern WI (so it's infrequent), remembers to bring eggs with from their farm. They are. the best. eggs. EVER. We can totally tell the difference. Boo to being disappointed.

I agree with Jill (above) — whenever I purge, I find the really good stuff that's hiding among the mediocre items. I'm impressed you're overhauling the house!

So — how did the jelly turn out? I'll ask on fb — I can't bare to have all the follow up comments come to me 😛

PS: Jen @ Life with Levi loves you and sent me, even though we've actually met (at the movie premier!)

6. 6 Debbie Petch said at 10:22 pm on June 26th, 2012:

Jen from Life with Levi sounds her love and thanks.

7. 7 Ashley said at 8:06 am on June 28th, 2012:

Good for you to be overhauling the house. 🙂 Nice post.
    My recent post http://kimkardashiantapenews.com/see-kim-kardashi