Why did I Breastfeed?

Posted: July 12th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Breastfeeding Blog Hop | Tags: Breastfeeding | 6 Comments »

Breastfeeding Blog Hop hosted by The Slacker Mom Best Breastfeeding Blog

Welcome to week 28 of the Breastfeeding Blog Hop!  This week The Gnome’s Mom, Happiness Redefined and I are talking about our influences and our original reasons for breastfeeding.

I’m trying to think back to why I first set out to breastfeed.  I don’t remember my mother breastfeeding my sisters, although she did.  I don’t remember being around anyone who ever breastfed- there was definitely no NIP in my life.  So, it’s not like i had this background where breastfeeding, especially long-term, was a focus or even something someone set out to do.

But, from the very beginning, that was one of the things I was going to do.  I was set on doing it when we had our first positive pregnancy test, I was set on it when we found out we were having twins, I was set on it when the boys were delivered.  It was just something I was going to do.

And even after everything we went through with the twins, breastfeeding was still my number one goal with Judah.  I actually think that thought was in the back of my mind from the day I stopped breastfeeding the twins- one day this will work as it should.  Next time, I will be successful.

I love that so many women are making it a point to breastfeed for as long as they can.  I love to think that the next generation will not have the same battles that we have regarding nursing in public, how long we breastfeed, etc.  I hope that one day, my boys will remember that yes- their mom breastfed them and they will in turn be supportive of the women in their lives when it comes to breastfeeding.

What influenced you to breastfeed?

6 Comments on “Why did I Breastfeed?”

1. 1 Sarah Jane said at 9:07 am on July 12th, 2012:

My mum influenced my decision to breastfeed. I remember her breastfeeding my sister and it was a normal everyday occurrence.
    My recent post Why Do I Breastfeed? {#BFBlogHop}

2. 2 Very Bloggy Beth said at 7:26 pm on July 12th, 2012:

When I was younger, like early 20s, nowhere near being a mom, I didn't think I would do it. The idea made me uncomfortable, I think as a byproduct of the conservative, Victorian-esque modestness of the area I grew up in. My mom nursed my youngest brother, but only for a few weeks. When I was a bit more mature and ready to be a mom, the more reading I did, the more sense it made to me. Not only was it free and convenient, and my body was made to do it, but the list of health benefits for mom and baby never seems to end. Luckily my son and I both figured it out pretty quickly, and had a good go of it, 13 months. My next son, due soon, I hope to nurse longer than that. I found it to be an amazing experience.

3. 3 emilymohajerinorris said at 12:24 am on July 13th, 2012:

Love your last two sentences especially. What a great topic! Thanks! I loved the opportunity to reflect on my early influences: http://breastfeedingfriendly.wordpress.com/2012/0
    My recent post The Power of Breastfeeding Role Models

4. 4 lianemarkus said at 5:06 am on July 13th, 2012:

Breastfeeding is very essential not only for the mother but most especially for the newborn. That is why it is important to promote breastfeeding.
    My recent post guns holster

5. 5 reichmaria said at 1:23 pm on July 16th, 2012:

I don't understand this battle of words around breastfeeding nowadays. I've breastfed all of my children until 20 months and there is nothing wring with that. Breastfeeding is the most natural process in the human life just like the birth.

6. 6 Tessa Estrada said at 4:18 am on October 29th, 2012:

It is actually the mom's choice on whether they would want to breastfeed their child. I was buying cloth nappy when I came across a mother who is on panic because her kid is crying and she wasn't able to bring the kid's milk. Unfortunately, she doesn't breastfeed. I guess it is safe to learn it as well.