Lock Down?

Posted: December 18th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Blogging, Stream of Consciousness | 9 Comments »

I’m pretty annoyed right now that as a blogger, I (and this is a general “I”) am being tsk-tsk’d by fellow bloggers for daring to write about the tragedy that happened in Newtown.

(Most of them say it’s really terrible that people are trying to capitalize on this tragedy and giving media attention to it.  Then in the next 5 paragraphs they go on to give their $0.02.  Attention bloggers: No matter how you spin it- you are still writing about it.  Get off your high horse.)

I’m not writing for page views- my page views are looooooow.  I stopped chasing page views months ago.

I haven’t mentioned any names, I don’t trick out my keywords or try and draw people in with titillating titles.

I write because as a person, as a parent, I need to process.

No matter how inadequately my words may be, is how I am doing that.  There is only so much I can cry during the news or discuss it with my husband.

Today we got home a letter from one of the boy’s schools outlining a few guidelines for dealing with this.

One of the things was this:

“As parents and adults, we should get the support we need to process this from other adults.”

Which seems pretty obvious.

On top of talking to friends and family, writing here accomplishes that for me.  Talking about it on my Facebook page does that for me.

Why do the blogging police always come out after things like this and try and shame other bloggers for writing about their feelings?  If you don’t want to write about it- don’t write about it.  Don’t mention it at all.

Because sending the message to other bloggers that they should be ashamed for addressing it and then turning around and talking about it yourself makes you a hypocrite.

As a parent of toddlers with autism who attend school, I am affected by this much more than I ever would have imagined.  I don’t know a single person who hasn’t been.

• No Related Posts

9 Comments on “Lock Down?”

1. 1 Hola Backgrinder said at 6:21 pm on December 18th, 2012:

If you had capitalized on this to push for a political viewpoint, or been sensational I could see people being offended, but having read your post there wasn't anything there remotely offensive. Just an honest reaction to a major event going on in your life that day.

2. 2 Savanah said at 6:34 pm on December 18th, 2012:

I don't mind any of the posts that discuss their feelings. When I first heard about it, I wrote a short post encouraging my readers to not take anyone for granted & make one change to their own life. I haven't posted about it again & have tried to stay out of the gun debates.

I am bothered by some people that are clearly trying to capitalize on it, like one bloggers that labeled her post HOT & filled it with affiliate links to purchase items for donation.

The whole thing is devastating and anyone trying to profit from it makes me ill. I don't consider the PV part profiting – its a natural consequence of posting. Most of my friends are in the computer, so online is where I discuss things like this.

3. 3 Andie said at 7:02 pm on December 18th, 2012:

I love reading your blog, everything you say has such resonance. Even if you were doing it for blog views what you have to say is important and people should hear. Thank you for writing and putting things into words a lot of cannot.

4. 4 Therese said at 8:11 am on December 19th, 2012:

I haven't had a chance to read what you posted, but I don't think anyone has a right to tell others how they should feel or deal with this tragedy. If writing about it helps, then screw 'em! You're brilliant, Erin! 🙂

5. 5 Jessica said at 8:57 am on December 19th, 2012:

Well said….

6. 6 BabywearingMama said at 2:53 pm on December 19th, 2012:

I think this is very well said. There is a huge difference between sharing one's thoughts and using writing and blogging as a therapeutic process, and writing sensationalist garbage to try to earn a dollar.

7. 7 Leah said at 2:21 pm on December 20th, 2012:

I definitely don't think that reflecting should be tsk'd at all! I do take issue with the Olivia Act as a photographer and will not be participating however.
    My recent post 23 weeks | Baby Sweets

8. 8 Dorothy said at 2:13 am on December 21st, 2012:

Dorothy of Oz is sure to be an instant classic for the whole family. The film is due out next year but the buzz being created is undeniable. Between the vastly talented cast and the original music, how could you not be excited! Glee's Lea Michele is in the title role as Dorothy Gale and she will bring such a fresh sound to the legendary character. Let us not forget Martin Short, Bernadette Peters, Kelsey Grammer, Dan Aykroyd, and many more bringing life to both new and older familiar characters!! Dorothy of Oz has all the components to be the new family favorite!

9. 9 Agi said at 6:24 am on December 27th, 2012:

I've already read many posts from you, and I never had the feeling that anything could be offensive or something like that. Haters gonna hate, whatever you do… you shouldn't give a f.. for that, just keep going on and do what you do, that's why we're here, because of your content..
    My recent post Néhány dolog a fogászati implantációról